Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HEow can i tell if his body temp is too cold or hypo thermia (neuro
Health related
Apr 28 2018
10:47:54 PM
We tried the take home for night on gizmo to see if his condition will improve. I seen him shake some and look more ragged thab usual. How do you know if its not able to keep body temp up.

Also how do you check the body temp of a glider? i feel i should be monitoring since they did in the hospital. I don't want him suffering

He ate some pasta at home yay... Seemed happier too. But just worried for night.

Got this setup now hoping for best.

Edited by - zmyr88 on Apr 28 2018 10:50:32 PM
Health related
Apr 28 2018
11:20:44 PM
zmyr88 Joey Visit zmyr88's Photo Album zmyr88's Journal 14 Posts
Video with him im worried about

youtu.be/rhjFEDufZis

Edited by - zmyr88 on Apr 28 2018 11:36:45 PM
Health related
Apr 29 2018
02:04:36 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
can't see the video, something is mussing on the link.
It might be wise to syringue feed him to make sure he actually eats some food.
What's the temperature in the room? If his mate is not being agressive with him, it might help to put her with him during the day
Health related
Apr 29 2018
11:07:56 AM
Worried the mate may pick at the stiches. And gets too flighty as too today it's with in smelling distance about 3 feet away in another cage. Visible. Https :// the url and it should work. It kept breaking the link when I tried.

Yes are syringe emerair ominivore icu formula. And his meds. Getting a heat PAD as soon as we can. But really want to know his body temp so we can be sure he is adequately warm since the burro trauma may affect heat regulation.
Try this link Error, missing URL. e
Health related
Apr 29 2018
11:23:29 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Health related
Apr 29 2018
11:28:17 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
if there is no open water source causing the fur to be wet, I'd venture to say he's plenty warm and sweating.

Being that the cage is so small ( as it should be for a hospital cage ) there is no escape from the heat that light is putting out. To warm can be just as dangerous as to cold.
Health related
Apr 30 2018
01:18:45 PM
it wasnt a heat lamp so it doesnt make it THAT warm. i set up a heat pad that we have been trying for last night and today. to see what he does. he seems to want to be right on top of it. so maybe he is a little cold.

found the vet took his temp rectal. i don't think we got a micro thermometer or a way to do that nor would it be easy by any stretch. trying to see if we can get a system for IR/oral readings of mouth/head or ear. since that would be faster and less invasive!

just wish the fella would drink water.
Health related
Apr 30 2018
01:35:15 PM
be careful with the heat pad, there is a risk of dehydration, especially if he does not drink.
Is his surgry wound improving?
Health related
May 04 2018
07:30:07 PM
gizmo update:
thanks, Leela for the post of the video.
seems to have lostsome more weight but slightly improvement of neuro function. still, circles YET was able to craw a metal pole to a pouch. the cage door must not have been secured one night. i mean he can't be doing THAT horrid if he managed to figure that out by himself.

as for the other question YES he WAS getting wet because of the setup we had for fruit and water it was getting itself wet crawling about (no reaction/fear to water). we switched to a normal bottle but i wanna get like something it can suck like a nippled bottle or even a setup for a water dish or soda bottle cap he can't get his tail in or sit in.

got a friend this weekend that hopefully going to teach us subq and give a checkup on him and maybe help us figure out where to go with gizmo. and how to get him to DRINK!

still, need a way to check internal temp tried a IR thermometer but that didn't work well think it was DOA. and a scale which I need to get a better one.

now I am wondering if he is doing torpor. since i read they can do up to 20 hours+ a day of it. its like bouts of activity followed by rest. however nowhere can i really find great info about torpor.
go #teamgizmo

my facebook has more videos and updates about him. or my instagram [zmyr88]
Health related
May 05 2018
03:40:25 AM
what is the regular temperature in the room? above 20C he normally wouldnt go into torpor.
have you done the tent test to see if he is dehydrated? Basically, he may get enough water from his food without needing to drink more. I usually use a water silo (for birds) in my hospital cage, it's easier for them to drink and they still can't get wet.
the walking in circle thing might be because he is still adapting to his new vision, which disturbs his balance.

Edited by - sjusovare on May 05 2018 03:43:36 AM
Health related
May 07 2018
04:25:25 PM
earlier i think he failed the tent test. we have been syringe feeding him emeraid IC and water. to try to get his hydration and nutrients up. i will have to check but i don't think it ever gets below 68* in the room. but i will have to get a thermometer for that. and a IR meter since i returned the one we got earlier due to issues.

whats the silo thing look like can you post a pic? and maybe whats in your hospital cage so i have an idea if we should maybe make some other mods to ours? (if you ok doing that?)

he does some frantic running then acts like dizzy then some times settles down. some times its just walking some times he does straight.

he was currled in a thight ball. don't think Self-mutilation or anything doing something but couldnt figure it out. nicole said he does sleep like that i didnt. but got an off vibe by it. he seem to try to groom himself now some so a start! but lot of other problems still UGH.

going to get a friend this week hopefully today or tomorrow to get him started on SUBq injections and see if any changes with that addition.

i need to get a better scale so i can check his weight. what toys should be in his cage or stuff to neural stimulate.

he also had an issue with is front foot not moving but Nicole thinks it improved this morning. i will have to see it again to know where we are on this *SIGH*

don't feel like seeing Windcrest again. nor do i expect much help from them on this glider anyways. 75/300 depending what they class it as, nor be able to do that much for it likely. if i do take him back. and i have a feeling they gave up on him when we left so idk... if he isnt using it normal by tomorrow... i really don't know.

can they splint or anything for a glider. since their feet are so small. i doubt he would survive anything that requires any form of anesthesia.
Health related
May 09 2018
02:14:39 PM
scoot Joey 30 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by zmyr88

whats the silo thing look like can you post a pic? and maybe whats in your hospital cage so i have an idea if we should maybe make some other mods to ours? (if you ok doing that?)

Not who you were asking but I have this silo

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJW1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it works great for my dudes. It makes it very easy to monitor water consumption because of the long thin shape. I just put a small piece of a sticky note on the side opposite the cage before they wake up, then next mourning you can see if it moved and how much.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders