GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Constipation?
Constipation?
Health related
May 05 2018
02:28:13 AM
Okay so my sugars are constipated alot.
I'll give them something for it and it will be fine for a day or two then it's back. Usually it's just one or two of them that's constipated at a time. (I have six)

I can't get them to a vet until next Friday.

I have given them pumpkin and apple juice for it. The juice works best because they like that and not the pumpkin. I put a half table spoon in their water.

I just got them on a stable diet that they will eat.

Instant hpw from exotic nutrition with blueberries and a frozen veggie mix. I feed them baby cereal as a treat, superworms, and every couple days I'll give them a tiny bite of a peanut. And by tiny I mean super tiny it's just for protein.

I've only been giving them the instant hpw for two days now, went through a Tony of diets trying to find one they will eat (they love this one)

Not sure if they are drinking enough water but I have two small dishes in the cage. I fill both half full sometimes they drink it almost gone and some days it looks like they didn't even touch it. I make sure.to wash bowls daily and only use bottle water.

The constipation started when I gave them apple a couple days in a row but I stopped it as soon as I found out it causes constipation and thought I had cured it, it's been almost a month since the apples

Any suggestions?

Sorry it's rushed it was typed on my phone.
Health related
May 05 2018
10:47:04 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Stop giving them apple juice.

Apples and apple juice contain natural pectin which can constipate, if they are already constipated it's probably doing more harm than good. Apples are fed to gliders but usually with enough other foods that keeps them regular.

Instead give them fruit n veg with high water content, like cucumbers, watermelon, even a piece of iceberg lettuce.....

Constipation is almost always diet/snack related, I'd almost bet money it's the peanuts.

Peanuts are a source of protein but they pose risks to gliders.

1 Aflatoxin. Peanuts and dried corn or corn based products can produce a specific kind of mold, the mold produces a toxin called aflatoxin. Aflatoxins are deadly to gliders and aren't usually diagnosed until the glider has passed.

2 Constipation. Gliders teeth are not designed to grind nuts and seeds. Their teeth are designed to compress juice from the food they chew then they spit out the solids they can't digest. Nuts and seeds do not break down enough to get fully digested they scrape them with their teeth rather than grind, so they build up and create blockages (impaction) sometimes it requires surgery in severe cases.

3 High in fat. Even though it's a small amount, nuts are high in fat which is hard on internal organs.

Exotic nutrion food.... personally I wouldn't feed anything from that company. The diet hasn't been tested, its full of fillers, gliders fed it are known to be on the heavier side yet always seem hungry.

If they like the "hpw" from there I'd put them on a quality hpw diet Critter Love I'd use https://www.critterlove.com/what-should-you-feed-your-captive-bred-sugar-glider It's one of the most widely used diets, it's been tested, isn't full of fillers, easy to make and there are salads that are fed with it. If you contact Critter Love Peggy would be more than happy to send you a sample so you can even try it before you buy it.

When they are on a balanced diet, extra protein ( like peanuts) aren't necessary the protein is already in the staple. If out of staple safer options for protein are:

boiled/baked chicken or turkey

yogurt no artificial sweeteners or low 0fat

scrambled or boiled eggs

**no seasonings, oils or butter when making glider food.
Health related
May 05 2018
11:40:10 AM
SuggieMommy314 Joey Visit SuggieMommy314's Photo Album 18 Posts
Thanks so much for the informTion! They wouldn't eat critter love so I tried this because a friend said hers ate it and we're fine on it. My gliders are very active and both my girls are a little on the lighter side anyway so maybe this will help?

I stopped apples.when I first noticed the constipation now I won't give them any juice.
I have also stopped the peanuts and thrown them away.

I do feed them watermelon a lot, when I made this post I was stating what I had been feeding them when I noticed the constipation was back. They do not like cucumber no matter how many times I try to give it to them sadly.
I am so afraid to use lettuce after all the issues going on with it (I won't even eat it unless I get it from my local farmers market that I know and trust)

They won't eat boiled eggs anymore. I am hoping it's just a matter of 'don't want' because they used to love them.

I'll try scrambled tonight and turkey tomorrow.

It seems only one of my boys is constipated right now and I can usually get them to go by letting them run around during tent time

Health related
May 22 2018
12:58:32 AM
Glide-or-die Starting Member 3 Posts
I think the diet change will help. One of my gliders gets constipated as well. I think I need to be cutting back on the mealworms! Anyways, it does help while their tails are up if you grab gently and pull up repeatedly. Best visual I can give is like steeping a tea bag. Go slow! This helps my glider "go" a little bit easier if she's really stuck. But that's just worst case. Keep on trying different diets!
Health related
May 22 2018
08:56:06 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Please don't use their tail like this. Tails are very very easily injured and broken.

The BEST thing for constipated gliders is high water content foods AND figuring out the cause so you can stop feeding what ever food/treat caused it to Prevent it from happening again.
Constipation?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Constipation?