Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please help
Please help
Default, miscellaneous
May 07 2018
01:18:32 PM
Hello everyone! I am very passionate about sugar gliders and have been researching about them since I was 15 (I'm 21 now). Although I still have not yet purchase my own pair as I am waiting until I graduate from University and get a job and a suitable house so my (future) suggies will be comfortable, I have been doing my research and this website has helped me a great deal! Even though I have been researching about them since I was in school I still learn new things about them everyday! Which is amazing!

While doing my research, I also try to find local vendors that sell cage accessories and what I found horrified me. There is this instagram account that sell suggie stuff which is okay for the most part, but they also offer "grooming services" which includes nail trimming and giving them baths and blow drying them! They even posted the photos and my heart breaks for the suggies that had to go through something unnecessary like that. In one of the posts they said that the suggies will get more "tamer" after a bath and won't be so bitey anymore. The amount of misinformation appalled me. The suggies were probably lethargic due to the stress of being put through a bath and being forced to be blow dried.

I have reached out to them and kindly tried to explain that sugar gliders do not need baths as they are self-groomers but they deleted all of my comments and blocked me. I do have another account following them but I am not sure how to reach out anymore.

To be honest I do think a lot of Malaysians are very uneducated in regards to sugar gliders. I have even seen a local breeder promoting his sugar gliders as "Grade A Australian" sugar gliders which first of all they're not pieces of meat to be graded in such a way and second it is illegal to import native animals from Australia. Hence I would like to be advised on how to encourage Malaysians to do more research before getting their suggies instead of impulse buying them like most of them are doing now.

P.s I am very sorry if my english is bad as it is not my first language.
Default, miscellaneous
May 07 2018
06:09:52 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
It is appalling, I agree. I guess the best way is to keep bringing up proper care when you see it in the media where you are able to comment. You will most likely be ignored, deleted, and/or even blocked, but if you continue to do this where you can, some may see the light.
Default, miscellaneous
May 07 2018
10:27:01 PM
miafrommalaysia Starting Member 3 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I am quite frustrated with how they choose to ignore people's advice but I will try again and hopefully get at least one person to listen to me.
Default, miscellaneous
May 08 2018
12:33:22 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
not only are they self cleaning, but their body heat is very important to them. washing them in water can change their body temp and cause undue physical and mental stress.
Default, miscellaneous
May 08 2018
12:49:44 AM
miafrommalaysia Starting Member 3 Posts
Exactly! I completely agree with you. Yet they promote their grooming services as therapy to tame bitey sugar gliders.
Please help

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please help