Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Not food motivated
Not food motivated
Question
May 09 2018
09:36:59 AM
So i have two nuetered male gliders, still separated ss i got them around 2 weeks ago and was waiting to get one nuetered before i introduced them.
Well, one is not food motivated at all, so any kind of treat he just crabs at me, hes starting to lick fresh fruit but only for a second before hes back to crabbing.
I take him out during the day in a small blanet and lay him on my chest and any light movement hes back crabbing.

Wondering if anyone may have some suggestions on bonding since he doesnt really care for treats at all, and crabs and rolls on his back anytime you try and handle him.

Ps. My other baby is spastic. Loves treats, runs to the cage door wanting out when you walk up, and loves running the room.
Question
May 10 2018
07:43:13 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
I didn't want you to think that no one was going to help you.

I can not be of much help as I don't think my gliders are too bonded to me and only like me when I have treats or use me as a tree; I have come to accept this but it is difficult when my son (who rarely spends time with them) comes into the room and they go right to him

I would suggest you try:

1) tent time; several people suggested it to me. It doesn't have to be an expensive tent.

What I would do is take the treats/gliders in the tent right before I knew they were due to wake up, set the gliders down, and let them come to me for the treat. My were weary for a while but eventually would start eating the treats on me.

PS. A good book or IPad makes it easier while you are waiting.

2) holding them in the bonding puch daily for about 30 min. Once they started knowing my smell, I would put my hand in the pouch. Serena is the crabber (especially when she wants to sleep). Now, I can put my hand in the pouch and touch them without a peep.

You got this! Patience is the key. I know it is hard as they are so loveable.

Edited by - ptamom on May 10 2018 07:44:01 PM
Not food motivated

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Not food motivated