Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How many to a colony?
How many to a colony?
Question
May 21 2018
06:38:46 PM
I love my ladies but have learned (thx to this board) that I made several mistakes when I first got them (wearing a pouch instead of trying to hold them, spending too much money on things that weren't necessary, etc..)

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a baby glider when I go to Texas in June. I really don't need it and could spend the money in better places but I was hoping that by getting another one, it might be more bonded to me than my ladies. I know that this may not happen since all gliders have different personalities.

If I should get a baby (female) how long should I keep it separated from the others? When I got my twins, Athena (the eldest) took to them immediately and I didn't do the steps that everyone suggested (didn't know then what I know now)

I have found a breeder in TX that is willing to sell to me (live in illegal state). Since there are so many breeders in TX, does someone have a reliable one or one to avoid should I decide to buy?

I am perfectly happy with my ladies but long for another..

Thanks for the advice
Question
May 21 2018
10:51:28 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
gliders should be kept separate for 30 days, then be cleared by a vet to be healthy. No transmittable diseases.

sorry dont know anything about tx breeders.
Question
May 22 2018
11:41:26 AM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
Thx BYK; you are always so helpful.
Question
May 22 2018
02:43:05 PM
flufftrio Starting Member 7 Posts
You also might need to wait longer than 30 days if you're introducing a joey to older gliders--I don't have experience with it myself but I've read that because the joey is smaller/weaker they're at a big risk if one of the bigger gliders wants to boss them around or straight up fight. So you might have to keep the joey separate until he/she is about a year old.
Question
May 22 2018
03:32:35 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello!
As BYK said, a 30 day quarantine is recommended. I've also read what Flufftrio said- that the gliders should be similar in size.

From my experience, an established colony might not easily accept a new glider. My quad wouldn't accept my fifth glider so I got her her own cagemate, and even that introduction took two tries and four months.

Having said that, I decided it was less stressful for me to keep the colonies separate. I'd gotten a lot of advice on how to integrate the colonies, but in the end it sounded very difficult and stressful, so I decided to keep them separate. I do still scent swap between my two colonies just in case they ever accidentally meet, that they might smell each other and decide they're long lost friends lol.

I'd recommend reading up on all the intro methods, and plan to give your new joey plenty of time to grow (and scent swap) before introductions.

Sorry, I don't know any breeders in Texas.
Question
May 28 2018
01:22:09 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
I've heard good things about The Pet Glider down in Texas and use their diet and my gliders are healthy.
Question
May 28 2018
11:22:11 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
How many to a colony...

Depends on the size of cage, and the gliders.

The following is not meant to be judgmental and isn't JUST for the Op, but also anyone else who may be reading this and has a similar situation.

Are the 3 girls still being housed in the pp starter cage?

If so, I'd suggest instead of another glider you invest in a bigger cage for your current gliders.

The pp starter cage is only meant to be used for about 6 months for 1 or 2 max gliders during the initial bonding period. Then it's suggested to upgrade to a larger long term cage.

A larger cage may also help you with bonding with the girls. How?
with more room the gliders will be less stressed and they will be able to move more and spend more of their energy at night which can make them calmer and easier to handle during the day. You'd also be able to fit a glider safe wheel (and other stimulating toys) in a larger cage providing an even more positive outlet for exercising and spending energy.

If they are still in the pp cage and you haven't already done this, you can remove the shelf and ramp in the cage to free up some space until they get a larger cage. The ramp and shelf aren't necessary and take up 'a lot of valuable space. It is still not a long term cage for 3 gliders but will help temporarily.

For 1-4(max) gliders I like the brisbane cage, though others would say for 3 or more to use a double critter nation (DCN) for more gliders add more space, Dcn's can be made into tripple stacks or
you can take two dcn's and put them together to make an even bigger cage for larger colonies.

How many to a colony.....depends on the gliders.

Even if the cage size is adequate for a large colony it ultimately comes down to the gliders, much like everything else.

Some gliders do better in pairs or trios rather than larger colonies, despite being colony animals. And some gliders do great in large colonies (4 or more) Even if the introduction goes extremely well the colony can collapse once housed in the same cage. So you have to monitor how they do and their behavior for quit a while after intro's.

They may thrive with another glider and get along great, or the new glider can cause i rift with the established working trio.
It's a 50 50 chance either way.

Reputable breeders in Texas.

There are a few reputable breeders in Tx, but the chances of them selling to someone that lives in an illegal state is very low unless you lie, and they believe you. It's not just that you live in an illegal state though for many breeders that is reason enough in itself. It's also that you will have a serious disadvantage for good vet care in your illegal state.

Good vet care is hard enough to get in legal states, let alone illegal states with even more inexperienced vets.

Vets in illegal states can and HAVE turned in people with illegal pets, the pets pay the ultimate price for the owners decision to have them in illegal states, most often the pets are put down whether they are healthy or not.

Which makes owners want to avoid taking gliders in for medical attention when they need it, there again the pet is suffering for the owners decision. Some vets may overlook the fact that they are illegal and treat the glider as best they can, but most ethical vets feel they have an obligation to turn owners in.

No reputable breederis going to subject their gliders to that, if they do knowingly then they aren't considered reputable.

If they aren't reputable, chances are they aren't breeding ethically or responsibly either.

So then your looking at possible inbreeding and or possibly selling sick gliders. Who then are going to need.......vet care at some point. Not to mention you'd be subjecting your current healthy gliders to a potentially unhealthy glider.

None of this is to judge you on your choice to own gliders in an illegal state, however these things are just some of the reality and consequences and limitations of that choice. You may have considered all this, but someone else
reading may not have.

No one can stop you from getting another glider, but first I'd focus on the ones you already have.

There is never a stopping point for "bonding" the bond continues to grow and expand as long as you own them no different than a friendship grows over
time with 2 humans. I really do believe if you focus on them, get them a larger cage and stimulating accessories you will see a difference and your bonding is going to progress with them easier.

Edited by - Leela on May 28 2018 11:31:53 AM
Question
May 28 2018
12:37:37 PM
Thx Leela for the response.

I actually have 2 cages. One is the DCN and the other is one that I bought from P**Pets. I like the P**Pets alot as I feel that they have more room to glide (just my opinion).

I have decided that I am just going to keep my trio. They really are good girls and Serena only bites when I have the smell of food on my hands or when she is getting her nails done.

I actually have taken my gliders to a vet located about 50 min away; they are recommended by someone I know that had gliders. I really didn't like the "glider whisper" when it came to trimming their nails but the office was nice and she seemed ok.

I just recently discovered one that is like 20 minutes away and plan on taking them in in July for a yearly checkup.

I try to take them out daily and hold them (via pouch) and let them roam loose in my bedroom 3 times a week. They are so good that they go back to their nesting box when it is time for them to sleep.

They love my son and he is able to carry them on his shoulder down to the cage; me?, won't even try it.

I love my gliders and love it when they come to the cage at night to see me (who cares if it is because they know I usually have treats.
Question
May 28 2018
04:11:14 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Good deal
Question
Jun 04 2018
12:49:12 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by ptamom

I love my ladies but have learned (thx to this board) that I made several mistakes when I first got them (wearing a pouch instead of trying to hold them, spending too much money on things that weren't necessary, etc..)

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a baby glider when I go to Texas in June. I really don't need it and could spend the money in better places but I was hoping that by getting another one, it might be more bonded to me than my ladies. I know that this may not happen since all gliders have different personalities.

If I should get a baby (female) how long should I keep it separated from the others? When I got my twins, Athena (the eldest) took to them immediately and I didn't do the steps that everyone suggested (didn't know then what I know now)

I have found a breeder in TX that is willing to sell to me (live in illegal state). Since there are so many breeders in TX, does someone have a reliable one or one to avoid should I decide to buy?

Thanks for the advice

I don't know that the age you get them at is really that big of a deal when it comes to bonding. My guys were all adults when I got them and they all like me and my two boys are bonded while the one I just got adores attention and is already starting to bond. One of my bonded boys isn't much for cuddling but he still loves to play and run all over me marking me as his, while the others both love to be pet when they're sleeping and will pop and stretch. First guy is occassionally in a cuddle mood and it always shocks me since he usually wants his space.
Question
Jun 04 2018
02:05:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Scoria

quote:
Originally posted by ptamom

Thanks for the advice

I don't know that the age you get them at is really that big of a deal when it comes to bonding. My guys were all adults when I got them and they all like me and my two boys are bonded while the one I just got adores attention and is already starting to bond. One of my bonded boys isn't much for cuddling but he still loves to play and run all over me marking me as his, while the others both love to be pet when they're sleeping and will pop and stretch. First guy is occassionally in a cuddle mood and it always shocks me since he usually wants his space.

Question
Jun 04 2018
02:07:59 PM
Sorry, I responded without responding..

Athena was about 3 mos (owner wasn't sure) The twins were about 2 months.
How many to a colony?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How many to a colony?