Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Tips for transitioning from a pellet diet to a staple diet?
Food, Diet
May 28 2018
02:44:24 AM
I picked up another glider today and he's been on a pellet diet. I'm transitioning him to TPG and have offered both that and his old pellets in his cage, as well as some of the TPG glider cereal. He's been on a pellet diet for a long time so I'm not sure if he'll even be interested in the TPG mix. He did pick up some of the cereal earlier. How can I best ease him into eating his TPG mix? Should I just gradually remove his old pellets until he's only eating TPG? I'm hesitant to just take them away all at once since he's got some overgrooming issues and I don't want to stress the poor guy too much.

Edited by - Scoria on May 28 2018 03:01:49 AM
Food, Diet
May 28 2018
10:20:32 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
You could actually just switch out completely, not really a need to transition. Your glider won't get sick, by changing diets (unless he's already ill), and will not starve themselves. He may take a few days to eat the new diet, or he may love it at first bite.

Please keep us posted on your new little guy.
Food, Diet
May 28 2018
12:24:07 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by TJones09

You could actually just switch out completely, not really a need to transition. Your glider won't get sick, by changing diets (unless he's already ill), and will not starve themselves. He may take a few days to eat the new diet, or he may love it at first bite.

Please keep us posted on your new little guy.

Alright, thanks! I actually talked to a glider friend and she said the same thing!
I've been working with birds lately and they usually need a transition period so I guess I was in the mindset that he'd need some sort of transition since they usually do.
Food, Diet
May 29 2018
12:22:07 AM
He's already eating the tpg. Guess I was worried for nothing.
Food, Diet
May 29 2018
09:36:38 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Scoria

most of the time we just put our new gliders on OHPW right away. they will eat the ohpw honey wombaroo mix right away, but take sometime,up to, a few months to really start eating the fruits and vegetables.

ALSO, if the cereal/pellets are Happy glider, they are good and healthy food that help clean the teeth, so leaving some in cage is fine. some of the other pellets are so hard that I would not feed them at all, like the vitacraft brand, although they may also be good, I have not gotten good recommendations like the happy glider/pocket pet glider chow brand.
Food, Diet
Jun 02 2018
10:22:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

quote:

most of the time we just put our new gliders on OHPW right away. they will eat the ohpw honey wombaroo mix right away, but take sometime,up to, a few months to really start eating the fruits and vegetables.

ALSO, if the cereal/pellets are Happy glider, they are good and healthy food that help clean the teeth, so leaving some in cage is fine. some of the other pellets are so hard that I would not feed them at all, like the vitacraft brand, although they may also be good, I have not gotten good recommendations like the happy glider/pocket pet glider chow brand.

They are the Vitacraft pellets. I looked them up online and all the favorable reviews were spouting b.s. like "my glider is Australian-bred high lineage so he's very picky and he loves these" so I didn't think too highly of them and put them in the mealworm farm. Figured the mealies like might them lol.

I give him some of the tpg glider cereal but he mostly ignores it and goes for the fresh food. He's actually less picky than my other two and eats almost all of it while they usually leave a lot of the fruit chunks and just wait for fresher fruit when I give them snacks during the day. I've been giving him superworms and he crunches them right up so I think his teeth are still getting cleaned. I also give them chicken and rice chew sticks the other two like a lot. He doesn't really seem interested in the hard foods right now though, he likes the fresh stuff.
Food, Diet
Jul 23 2018
12:19:05 PM
MoonSpider Starting Member 2 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

quote:

I'm sorry. I'm a little confused by your comment.
ARe you saying that Happy glider and pocket pet glider chow are good brands? Or not.
Food, Diet
Jul 24 2018
03:10:22 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by MoonSpider

quote:

I'm sorry. I'm a little confused by your comment.
ARe you saying that Happy glider and pocket pet glider chow are good brands? Or not.

If you look on the ingredient lists. they are identical. I believe glider chow is happy glider just packaged in PP packaging.

from the information I have read. this type of "cereal" is good at cleaning the
teeth of gliders and is healthy as a side dish. I would not feed this as the main
food source. I would feed OHPW with fruits and veggies or BML.

As for other cereal or pellets I have not researched them much, but have heard
they are very hard and difficult on the gliders insides.
also consider the way gliders eat and hard dry food is not the best for them.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders