Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Help! I need answers.
Help! I need answers.
Question
May 30 2018
01:31:57 AM
So I’m an interested party in getting two gliders that are siblings. I will take time to socialize them and have done some research but have a few questions. 1. Should I buy sugar gliders and have them shipped or go somewhere to get them 2. What should I feed them specifically 3. Does a vet that says they take care of “exotic animals” probably care for sugar gliders 4. Do they smell too terribly bad? They have the scent glands yes but is the odor offensive/unbearable
Question
May 30 2018
10:05:13 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
ok. let me start by saying, as you know, gliders are nocturnal and are asleep all day. they wake up at night to explore/play/eat. If you are someone that is sleeping 10pm to 6am then gliders are not the best pet. I work nights half the time so my routine in usually 2am to 10am sleeping. so after getting my new glider room finished(I lost the basement glider area to a pool table) I let the gliders out of cage and spent 10pm to 12:30am with them, they started slowing down going back to pouch so I put them all back in cage at 12:30

1. many gliders available online (we got most of ours from online rehome/rescue) we would meet up with people and get the gliders, some at their home, some at our house. for me, sending threw mail is a last possible option. I could never mail one. several breeders in our area. dayton OH full of gliders for sale seems like all the time.

2. I would pick OHPW/critterlove, or BML. with critterlove is slightly more expensive (we have 11 gliders so try to watch the cost) then OHPW, but getting raw honey a little more difficult, I travel 30 miles and get all the raw honey I can carry. also wombaroo comes from overseas, critterlove comes from USA, and critterlove offers an instant, my gliders like instant, but the not instant they liked better.
may people have posted here they use BML and their gliders like it.

3. call the exotic vet and ask them if they have glider experience? even ask HOW MUCH experience. Our fancy beautiful vet place cost $100 and we were disappointed with visit, our small south of town vet office cost $40 per visit, EVEN WHEN I TOOK THEM 5 GLIDERS, both dad and son vet seemed to know gliders very well.

4. our cage can get smelly from 2 feet away if not cleaned, the smell is not that bad. Our gliders, all neutered and females, I feel do NOT smell. BUT sometimes sophie will pee on you and it will smell, if we feed them high protein treats mealworms/yogurt drops her pee smells worse. sometimes they poo on you and that can have a strong odor at times, other times its harder poo and rolls right off. My wife sometimes thinks the gliders are smelly, I have never had a problem with a glider smelling bad. I hear un-neutered males can be smelly.

Question
May 30 2018
12:09:33 PM
Espay Starting Member 0 Posts
How much a month do you think 2 gliders would cost overall?
Question
May 30 2018
03:10:17 PM
Espay Starting Member 0 Posts
Question
May 31 2018
12:06:09 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Espay

I remember they said $11 a month for 1 glider?

You have to remember one time expense, good cage about $200. good running wheel $50, pouch set or two. cage toys ?$50 can add stuff as you go. water and feeding bowls. plastic links for cage toys.

As for food, I paid $41 for 2.5 gallon of fruit and 2.5 gallon vegetables, this will last 11 gliders about 2 maybe 3 weeks. so for 2 I would say $41 more then 2 months. So about 41/2 or $20 for a month at most for veggies/fruits.

then for Ohpw, eggs are cheap, 10 oz bee pollen $10 and at 1 tablespoon per litre of ohpw will last a long long time. I pay $50 for large wombaroo 1 kilo, this would last 2 gliders all year, with 2 gliders 250gram box $16. then 1 gallon raw honey $30 I think, will last awhile at 1.5 cups per liter of ohpw. 1 gallon = 16 cups or will make 10 liters of OHPW, that will last 2 gliders a long time, but honey never expires. so $1 eggs, 10 pollen, 16 wombaroo, 30 honey, $57 makes a 10 liters ohpw that will last 2 glider I believe most of 8 months to 1 year.
Question
Jun 04 2018
11:50:15 AM
applejack Starting Member WI, USA 9 Posts
Gliders are not that expensive on a monthly basis. It's mostly the upfront costs of paying for the gliders themselves, the cage, and the initial food purchase. Since most food options are purchased in amounts that last for quite a while, essentially in bulk, there will be a decent cost every few months. The food I use costs me $60 every 3 months or so. Then I add bits of fruit to meals (I buy an apple or a pear, cut it in to pieces, freeze them, and give my gliders one piece each at night, this makes the fruit last almost a month) and wax worms/meal worms or a bit of ham, and a drop of honey. Averaging it all our it usually runs me about $25/month for my 2.
Help! I need answers.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Help! I need answers.