Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Are bugs necessary?
Are bugs necessary?
Question
Jun 04 2018
08:43:36 AM
If I were to get sugar gliders would I have to feed them bugs? I’ve seen places say it makes their urine smell a bit worse and some places say they can just be used as treats. The bugs are just for protein right? I don’t know how expensive it would be to constantly have bugs in hand.
Question
Jun 09 2018
04:33:01 PM
Aspeakma Starting Member USA 7 Posts
You don't have to feed bugs if you prefer not to. They are usually used as treats because they are high in fat. As long as your glider gets protein via meats like chicken, boiled eggs and/or yogurt, he will get enough.

I actually just bought a 7oz bag of freeze-dried meal worms off of Amazon for $5 and my glider loves them and they will last a long, long time.

Just make sure you don't grab any bugs from outside because they may have ingested harmful things like pesticides that will make your glider sick.
Question
Jun 09 2018
05:28:00 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

the pet store or walmart will have dried mealworms the gliders like, are mostly a fatty treat and will last a long time, I leave mine in the resealable bag they come in OR a air tight tupperware container.

or sometimes I pick up the live ones from pet store, the gliders really really love these, a really tasty and fatty treat.
Are bugs necessary?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Are bugs necessary?