Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Sugar glider diets
Sugar glider diets
Question
Jun 04 2018
12:46:34 PM
I am new to this and a new sugar glider mom. I have read about so many different diets and I am so confused. The place we got him at was strictly pellets and meal worms a few times a week. Since we've gotten him we have been feeding him chicken, eggs, and different fresh fruits and veggies. I've checked each one to make sure they were ok. However I want him to be as healthy as possible so I need some help choosing a diet to follow and where to get the different supplements based on which I go with!! Thanks. Nicole and Cane
Question
Jun 05 2018
03:24:40 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
one good diet is BML, but I don't know much about it.

I would recommend critterlove.com
get critterlove plus. critterlove complete is an instant option, but the plus your gliders will like better.
they also have 5 options for fruits and veggies mixes. You can buy at store and freeze, then serve every night.
Also you can buy raw (unpasterized) honey where ever and use the amount suggested, you dont have to buy honey from critterlove(or shouldnt have too.)
Question
Jun 05 2018
09:16:46 AM
ChipandDalesMom Joey Visit ChipandDalesMom's Photo Album 32 Posts
I got my gliders about 3 months ago and I struggled with their diet also. My boys were 6 months old and had been on pellets, Wambaroo HPS mixed with water, and occasional fruits so I didn't really know what they liked. I tried different fruits and veggies, eggs, chicken, etc. and left only a few pellets in a separate dish. They barely ate any of their pellets when I introduced all of the other yummy stuff. After about a month and reading a ton of posts on this site I finally put them on the OHPW diet. They absolutely love it and they are thriving! The recipe is simple but you have to order the Australian Wombaroo HPS (high protein supplement) from Etsy or ebay. I made half a batch the 1st time and froze it as directed. It lasts about a month. I like this diet because you can give them a TBSP each of fruits and vegetables and add the HPW and that's it. There isn't anything complicated and I can prep everything for a month in advance. If you would like more info please feel free to message me. I was a total neurotic new glider mom when I got them and now I feel a lot more capable because of this site and advice from other members.
Question
Jun 12 2018
01:41:11 PM
nisands Starting Member 3 Posts
Thank you both so much. I am a neurotic new glider mom too. I am always yelling at my hubby cause he is the type to feed first then check with our other pets in the past but thank God he hasn't tried it with Cane. Especially since the pet store told us he could eat anything we ate. He was on pellets at the store so we do leave him some in his cage but he has been eating more of the fresh stuff lately. I am in a fb group and have a mentor who feeds ohpw but I wanted to ask here and well. I looked on the site and they sell a sample package that makes a batch and it says it feeds 2 gliders for a month. We currently only have the one but hopefully his new friend named Rita will be joining us this weekend. He was all alone at the pet store for a few months and they said that they purposely kept him alone so that he would be easier to sell and would bond to his owner instead of another glider. We had always wanted to get gliders but wanted to wait until our boys were older and more responsible and when we could financially afford to get a pair. Our boys are older now and are very responsible and take great care of the pets we already had but financially we weren't ready. However when I saw this cute little guy at the pet store that we only went to because our regular pet store didn't have the food our mice likes and he was all alone in a tiny cage, I had to get him. They charged us $350 for him and his cage. They lied and said he was neutered and had his first shots (they dont even get shots) they just wanted a reason to jack up the price. The thing that makes me even more mad is that the owners daughter has 2 of her own and gave us bad care instructions. I always research and oh boy did I however there's so much different info out there. Ok so I have another question? Has anyone here just owned one? I see gliders in pairs and multiples and see how cute and how much they interact and I want that for my guy. I know we give him a ton of love and attention but we aren't gliders. It's cute though to see him play with the cat. Obviously I dont let them play out of the cage but our cat has always been so good with the mice. Ever since she was a kitten. And Cane will bark to get her attention if she leaves the room. It's so cute. Ok now I am just rambling. Thank you guys for all your help. Chip and Dales Mom are you on Facebook? Or is there another way to get in touch with you besides here??
Question
Jun 12 2018
06:12:32 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
although gliders don't eat everything we eat, I was told that you feed a glider the same way you would eat something. so you don't have to peel the apple, but you do the orange and banana. and don't blend the veggies.

We picked up 3 gliders from an owner. two together and one single. the single was very jumpy and hard to handle. after we got all 3 together the single one completely changed, gained some wieght ( was skinny) got alot less jumpy and ended up being a very calm and good glider.

We got connor as a single, his cagemate had passed away, he was and still is super crabby. but we slowly worked him to be less jumpy and more friendly, he did NOT bite and is getting used to us. We put him with 4 others and they are doing great, the 4 are a great colony so we worried we could cause a problem, but in the end it has been great for all of them.

I would recommend, 2 or 3 gliders with a large cage.
Question
Jun 13 2018
02:09:13 AM
Ballistic_Glider Joey 26 Posts
I'm definitely not to the level of BYK_Chainsaw yet...obviously because I've asked questions on here before and they were the one to answer... but I do a Critter Love Diet too. I order the powder mix from them online and do the salad recipe that goes along with it (there are three I believe - just do the one that you can find all the ingredients for/ is the easiest). All you have to do is make it every three months (which is fairly hard work but you'll get the hang of it very quickly) and then feed them the frozen salad with the ice cube liquid (powder mixed with water). Bam! They get the nutrients they want and they'll love it!

You might want to find your gliders' preferences in food first though. Suggies can be picky!

Edited by - Ballistic_Glider on Jun 13 2018 02:10:27 AM
Question
Jun 13 2018
06:47:28 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
The 2 diets I recommend are Bml http://www.bmldiet.com/index.html and critter love https://www.critterlove.com/

Both are widely used excellent diets. 1 you can get everything locally and the other you have to order online. Sometimes that alone is the deciding factor for which diet to go with, if you can't or don't want to order things online Bml is the way to go.

Bml is super easy and one batch lasts 1 glider about a month. It takes all the guess work out of what to feed if you follow the recipe and feeding instructions.

All of the ingredients can be found locally at grocery stores, and pet stores that sell reptile supplements. The first batch should cost around 40 bucks but once you have the calcium and multivitamin those should last you at least a year for one glider so your only restocking the grocery store items. If you go with Bml make sure to refrigerate the wheat germ after you open it, it will go rancid if you don't.

Critter Love has a calculator on their website to tell you how much CL you to feed x amount of gliders for a month.

****** IF you feed a Hpw diet that uses bee pollen, please inform your vet that bee pollen is in their diet. When vets do fecal testing bee pollen can be confused for parasites in the stool samples.

There are different Hpw recipes. One you add other ingredients to it, another you only have to add water, and another for breeders. All use the same CL salads that are fed with the staple.

Peggy of Critter Love will happily send you a sample of the diet so you can try it before you buy it. There is a link somewhere on the website for the sample.

The best diet, is the diet your gliders eat consistently well and that you can afford to consistently feed.

Sugar glider diets

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Sugar glider diets