Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Overgrooming Head and Tail
Health related
Jun 05 2018
06:45:20 PM
New glider came with tail and head overgroomed. Tail is bald on tip and very thin fur on rest. Head is bald on top. He was a lone glider and fed a pellet diet, and previous owner didn't have a lot of time to spend with him.

He is getting an exam and neutered, including a fecal exam, next week. Is there anything else I should have the vet check aside from fecal?
Health related
Jun 06 2018
01:19:25 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts

Health related
Jun 06 2018
08:15:35 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
keep a close eye on his tail, watch for the skin color to change from light to dark to black. Also watch for broken skin on the tail, if he chews on it get him into an e collar.

The head is most def over groomed, however gliders don't typically over groom their tails just for the sake of over grooming.

Usually if the tail is missing fur it's because the glider suffered a tail injury and it's causing pain.
Health related
Jun 06 2018
11:27:21 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
I will definitely keep an eye on his tail. He does have a scar from a safety pin on the back of one of his legs, but that's not in the direct line to the tail. It could be related though. I know this info is really outdated, but this site says overgrooming the end of the tail might be stress-relsted: http://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/t231-overgrooming Whatever the cause I'll watch it, I'd hate for the poor guy to lose any tail.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders