Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
End of tail going dark - is amputation inevitable?
Health related
Jun 15 2018
01:46:12 AM
My rescue glider has an overgroomed tail, and now the skin on last quarter-inch is darker than the rest. It seems to be turning blue.

I'm going to call the vet in the a.m. He is not bothering with it and still has medicam in his system since he was neutered on Monday and I've been medicating him per instructions. He doesn't mind when I palpate it and doesn't act like it hurts him. He still curls it ok. There is a tiny wound where the color change starts.

Is there anything that can be done or is it going to need amputated? I knew it was a possibility but I was really hoping the poor guy would keep a full-length tail. I'm worried that if it gets amputated he could get phantom pains from the missing tip and start self mutilating.
Health related
Jun 15 2018
08:24:14 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
if it's turning blue that part of the tail is probably going necrotic and will turn black.

The medicam isn't needed for the neuter at this point unless there were complications with that, buttttt it is probably relieving any pain from the tail and helping him from going after his tail.

The only thing that can be done at this point is preparing an e collar in case you need one if you haven't already. The vet may or may not do anything about it just yet so if you take him in don't be upset if they don't do anything but examine him.
They may or may not keep him on the pain meds, and an antibiotic.

Some vets will hold off on amputating depending on where the injury is on the tail until the tail fully goes necrotic. Sometimes once fully necrotic that part of the tail simply falls off or they clip it off. In your case, that is likely what they will do because it is more likely to fall off or simple clip off without surgery.

Other times it continues going up the tail, so the vet waits so they aren't amputating twice.

Gliders with amputated tails or tails that fall off from being necrotic usually make a full recovery and go on to live very normal thriving lives, just with a shorter tail. They don't have ghost pains from amputations.

He will likely need an e collar if they do amputate to prevent him from bothering the site, which isn't considered self mutilating. It is considered to be normal behavior for injured and recovering gliders. Once it's healed he won't go after it again.

At most it's irritating to gliders that were tail carriers because it's frustrating they can't wrap their tail around like they used to.

E collars are pretty simple to make, the supplies, directions and template can be found here http://gliderhealth.com/slfmutl/ecollar.html

If you don't have those supplies you can improvise, we actually prefer mole foam tape for the neck part. The cone should be something a little stiff, in a pinch we have used bottled water bottles and they work greatt.

Getting the collar on him probably isn't going to be easy.

There are things you will need to do for him if he does need an ecollar, he will need access to food and water with the e collar on we use bird water silos for both food and water. He will need an OE pouch instead of normal pouch and it should be lower to the floor for easy access. You will need to keep the inside of the cone clean, qtips work well and you may need to clean his fur from the neck back for him while in the collar.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 15 2018 08:36:47 AM
Health related
Jun 15 2018
10:39:43 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
He was on medicam for 3 days after the neuter. I've read keeping them on it longer than 3 days can cause liver damage. Should I be worried about that?

Here are some more pictures of his tail:

Health related
Jun 15 2018
11:10:45 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
That is something you'll need to talk to the vet about, though I do know there are cases where it has been use considerably longer than 3 days, I do not know if there is away to tell if the liver or any other internal organs suffered from it or not.

Even with necropsies the liver damage can be evident, but the cause is rarely every diagnosed definitively because so many things can cause the damage.

It's something you need to discuss with your vet, as I am not a vet. You can also ask about other pain meds but metacam is typically used for tail injuries.

They may not even give pain meds for it, in that case you absolutely need to have an e collar made and ready and put it on at the first sign that it is bothering him. IF you need help with that a friend of mine and I can help get it on easier.

I don't always see posts here in a hurry, if you need immediate help with him contact either of us on facebook. This is me, https://www.facebook.com/carla.sloan.1

and if I don't see it quick enough this is my friend Denise, just tell her Carla sent you and you need help with a tail injury.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004843098345

we both have experience helping people with injured gliders, Denise has personal experience with tail injuries. Both of us are usually up late so don't worry about what time it is.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 15 2018 11:12:43 AM
Health related
Jun 18 2018
06:25:15 PM
The vet said it could possibly be bruising from the little wound, since it is not hot or cold to the touch, and to call or take him in if it worsens. It seems fine so far and he does not mess with it. I have also noticed he has a lump on the right of cloaca, possibly an impacted anal gland? It doesn't feel hot to the touch and he lets me palpate it and does not act like it hurts. It's remained fine over the last few days and I am monitoring it too. I an going to get ahold of the vet and see if they noticed it during the exam or if it is a new development.

I am pretty confident I could get him collared if necessary, but I appreciate the offer for help and if I need it I will definitely contact you two.

Edited by - Scoria on Jun 18 2018 06:25:55 PM
Health related
Jul 01 2018
03:26:51 AM
His tail still seems fine. I am starting to wonder if the darkness isn't just his fur growing back in.
Health related
Jul 03 2018
01:21:57 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
When I got Loki he had an obviously damaged tail with a hairless area on which the skin looked darkish/blueish as well.

2 years later his tail is just normal, albeit the fact that his fur still has a lighter color where it was damaged.

Edited by - sjusovare on Jul 03 2018 01:26:17 PM
Health related
Jul 15 2018
06:42:14 PM

Here's his tail today. It looks like it is going to be completely normal once his fur is completely grown in. The lump by his cloaca is also gone. He's looking better and climbing and jumping and using the wheel now like a normal glider.

Edited by - Scoria on Jul 15 2018 06:44:21 PM
Health related
Jul 15 2018
06:54:36 PM
That is wonderful!! not very many tail issues have happy endings I'm glad it was for yours

Ps I have noo problem being wrong, especially when it ends well

Edited by - Leela on Jul 15 2018 06:56:22 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders