Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Biting?
Biting?
Behavior
Jun 17 2018
04:47:41 PM
So my female sugar glider is the sweetest out of all four of mine. She almost never crabs at me or gets frustrated or scared of me. She often tries to crawl up onto my arm. I was putting the pouch back into the cage after saying hello to them. She nipped my finger, I didn't jump back. She wasn't crabbing, nor was she frustrated at anyone. On another occasion, I was saying hello to them and opened the pouch to look at how cute all four of them were sleeping. The mom kept trying to come out and explore, wasn't scared, and wasn't crabbing whatsoever. She nipped my finger but not hard at all. None of these hurt at all. Which was strange to me.

Do you think she thought I was food or something? She was never crabbing or scared on either of these occasions.

Thanks!

Edited by - keena127 on Jun 17 2018 04:49:38 PM
Behavior
Jun 17 2018
04:57:30 PM
Ballistic_Glider Joey 26 Posts
It honestly sounds like nothing at all. Your glider was probably being sweet and trying to groom you - and that's a good thing! She accepts you. If your other gliders haven't done that, it's fine because all sugar gliders are different. I'm sure they love you a lot too . You may have the scent of food on your finger sometimes as well.
Behavior
Jun 17 2018
11:23:57 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
maybe food smell.
maybe they think you have a treat in your fingers.
I have one that at refrigerator I give him live mealworms, after he is finished eating one I get him another, if I dont go fast enough he will give me a small bite on the arm he is sitting on. like he is saying hurry up with the next one.
My wife's glider will sometimes give me a little nip during playtime, don't know why.
the gliders like to give bare toes a nip, I guess feet smell tasty.

None of these are hard blood bites, just enough to get my attention and annoy me.

I would think, she is testing you for some reason. get a treat, smell something good so give it a nip. something like that.
Behavior
Jun 23 2018
04:37:34 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by keena127

So my female sugar glider is the sweetest out of all four of mine. She almost never crabs at me or gets frustrated or scared of me. She often tries to crawl up onto my arm. I was putting the pouch back into the cage after saying hello to them. She nipped my finger, I didn't jump back. She wasn't crabbing, nor was she frustrated at anyone. On another occasion, I was saying hello to them and opened the pouch to look at how cute all four of them were sleeping. The mom kept trying to come out and explore, wasn't scared, and wasn't crabbing whatsoever. She nipped my finger but not hard at all. None of these hurt at all. Which was strange to me.

Do you think she thought I was food or something? She was never crabbing or scared on either of these occasions.

Thanks!

Maybe grooming or playful. Mine will nip gently to play with me. Or she could have been hungry. Mine also nip to tell me they want to go back to the cage to eat, it's usually a more persistent nibbling then. Is she possibly trying to drag your hand into the pouch so it can "sleep" with them? She obviously loves you so maybe her maternal instincts were kicking in and she wanted you go to bed. Could've been she was just saying hi as well or wanting you to pay more attention to her or pet her.
Biting?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Biting?