Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Gliders stopped coming out of pouch?
Question
Jun 21 2018
11:36:59 AM
My brother lives with me and owns a pair of sugar gliders. He's been away for a week and I'm taking care of them while he's gone. I know they're eating and drinking, because the food and water I put in the cage for them disappears, but other than that, I have not seen them since he left. They're staying in the bag and not coming out. I got nervous enough about it that I picked the bag up to peek at them and make sure they're okay in there. They're alive and awake and didn't make the scary grunting noise at me, so I know that much. But should I be worried?
Question
Jun 21 2018
11:45:19 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
What time of the day are you concerned about?

If it's during the day time, that is normal for them to stay in the pouch they are nocturnal and don't usually become active till 8pm ish, even then they don't always stay awake all night long, they eat, play, go take a nap and repeat all through the night.

If it's night time, and you are turning a bright light on it is also normal for them to go in the pouch or stay in the pouch, Use a dimmer light or indirect light to check on them.

Staying in the pouch while their human is away is kind of normal and not a big concern.

If they weren't in the pouch, and are on the floor of the cage, or in the wheel sleeping during the day is when I would be concerned.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 21 2018 11:46:40 AM
Question
Jun 21 2018
11:52:44 AM
heatherly Starting Member US 3 Posts
Pretty much all times of day. :-/ I check their water when I get up in the morning, I put food in their bowl in the afternoon before I leave for work, I peek in on them when I'm feeding his girlfriend's ferrets at night after I get home, and then do one more round of checking before I go to bed. You'd think I'd have stumbled on them out of the bag once just by accident, but no. :(
Question
Jun 21 2018
12:02:31 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
lol your probably just missing them in the morning, mine are go in the pouch anywhere from 6 to 7 am 7 at the latest. Afternoon they are def sleeping. Night time I would think you'd see them yes.

Are you turning on a light? staying in the room for a few min? They may hear you coming and boogy to the pouch by the time you get there, do you usually interact with them when your brothers home?

Does your brother give them treats?

Question
Jun 21 2018
12:26:21 PM
heatherly Starting Member US 3 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Leela

lol your probably just missing them in the morning, mine are go in the pouch anywhere from 6 to 7 am 7 at the latest. Afternoon they are def sleeping. Night time I would think you'd see them yes.

Are you turning on a light? staying in the room for a few min? They may hear you coming and boogy to the pouch by the time you get there, do you usually interact with them when your brothers home?

I try not to turn on a light, no. I do interact with them sometimes when they're out of the cage, but not often. Stitch, his male, really likes to jump on my head or worse, my face, so I tend to scoot when he's taking them out. /o

He does give them treats. I've been thinking about trying to lure them out with crickets or grapes.
Question
Jun 21 2018
12:31:07 PM
ok so you aren't new new to them, they probably just miss your brother, try treats, and give them to them at the same time every day or night.
Question
Jun 21 2018
01:09:25 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
Sounds like this.. You look for them, they're still asleep, you go to bed, they wake up and play, they go to bed, you wake up, and they're already back in bed. :-)
Question
Jun 22 2018
01:23:44 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
having some toys, a bigger cage with room to move around AND a good quality glider wheel gives the gliders something to come out and play with. If your cage is small and has nothing for them to do, they may not have a reason to come out of pouch as much.

Mine are running on the wheels at about 10pm. eat some food, then if I dont open cage door to let them out, they will go back to sleeping pouch for while, then at different times AT NIGHT different gliders come out to eat, run on wheel, check for treats in cups around cage or just hang out in the mailbox.
Question
Jun 23 2018
04:30:15 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by heatherly

quote:
Originally posted by Leela

I try not to turn on a light, no. I do interact with them sometimes when they're out of the cage, but not often. Stitch, his male, really likes to jump on my head or worse, my face, so I tend to scoot when he's taking them out. /o

He does give them treats. I've been thinking about trying to lure them out with crickets or grapes.

One of mine loves to terrorize my sister and will chase her to jump on her during playtime. She's his favorite person because she's so fun for him to chase. If he's jumping on you it probably means he likes you. ;^)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders