Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Getting a second one while owning an unbonded baby?
Question
Jun 21 2018
01:11:45 PM
Hey everyone! This is my first post! I recently got a singular sugar glider (I know, I know but I want to make it right). She is a baby and long story short, we are not bonded yet but I want to get her a friend. There are adults available on Craigslist but my concern is the stress of a second glider she does not know while trying to get used to the giant human she does not know. I have a cousin who tried to introduce a second glider when one died and they actually killed each other! Can I wait until she has bonded to me to get a second glider or will it be okay right now? I have only had her four days but I already want the world for her. I have never felt this love before and I want to make her happy. Please be kind. Thank you.
Question
Jun 21 2018
02:28:46 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
welcome and congrats!

It's absolutely ok to keep her single for a while !!!

One of the biggest problems in this community is people jumping on new owners for only getting one glider and insisting they hurry up and get a cage mate, WITHOUT explaining how to safely do introductions.

They will often say that single gliders will get depressed, self mutilate and die....... that is not true, UNLESS there is an underlying health issue.

Yes they are colony animals and most of them do better in pairs or more, but being single for a while is not going to cause them to harm themselves.

Please don't let anyone guilt you into get another before you are ready to do so. When you provide a safe wheel, stimulating toys, and attention, singles can do very well as a single.

As your already aware, intro's can go horribly wrong, it can be intimidating, you need to be prepared with a second cage and accessories if the intro doesn't take the first time, and you need to know what to watch for and when to separate. Give yourself the time to research all that before hand so you know how to do it safely.

Get to know her, and let her get to know you... give her a safe wheel, and lots of stimulating toys, if your not sure what those are lots of people here will help with that.

I started out with a single and she stayed single for about 5 months before showing any signs that she needed a cage mate. Then we adopted a 2nd one and the rescue helped us with the intro, we were very fortunate for the intro help most people have to face that alone. I also had an intact male that stayed single for the first year, he showed no signs of being lonely.

Personally I think it'd been easier if I had started with a bonded pair and would recommend that to new owners prior to them buying any but, There are a lot of people that start with one and there is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 21 2018 02:35:44 PM
Question
Jun 21 2018
02:44:08 PM
Emmikate Joey Visit Emmikate's Photo Album 33 Posts
Thank you so much. I am sleep deprived and sore as the last few days I have either not slept or slept next to her cage so she sees me. My anxiety keeps me super attentive and every moment I am home she's either in a pouch or playing with me watching. When she actually likes me (lol) I will begin the introduction. I didn't think I could love an animal like this and I have my dog tattooed on my arm!
Question
Jun 21 2018
02:50:19 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
you'r already her slave lol

Just remember to not put a time frame on "bonding" or have expectations of her. They all come around in their own time enjoy her and you both will learn what works and what doesn't as you go. Sounds like she's in good hands tho
Question
Jun 22 2018
02:27:45 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
my thoughts
First your cousin...
I have helped my wife with about 8 introductions, 1 and 1, 2 and 2, 2 and 6, etc. I'm a chicken, so I let her do most of the tub time, to separate out any fights. We have some squabbles and some spats, once she even stopped the introduction and tried again 24 hours later. Only one glider has even been rejected, after 3 days of her hiding in the top corner of cage at night, sleeping with other gliders during day, we moved her out. We have never had an injury.
Anyway, I feel if an introduction ends in a death, that is 100% the fault of the owner doing it wrong.
so if you learn, read, and do it right your introduction should be smooth, unless you get one of the few gliders that don't want a friend. Again our only failure was going from 8 to 11, and one of the 3 was not accepted. I dont think we have even had much of a real fight. most times its a sniff, a squeak and a come join me in this sleeping pouch and be my sleeping buddy. you just have to do it right.

as for 1 or more gliders.
give your 1 glider good food, some treats, some toys, some attention and you can get another whenever your comfortable, now or later, either way is fine.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders