Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help! White, Solid poop and Not Eating fruits
Health related
Jun 28 2018
10:06:45 AM
My 2yro male has recently been pooping a white, clay colored kind, not runny, it’s a normal density, he’s been on the same kind of diet, not changed (HPW) with fruits, veggies, and sources of protein (mostly chicken).

He’s also been eating less, I’m putting chicken in with his food to get hm to eat something alongside the fruits, but he’s only eating the chicken. He’s been drinking, but he usually eats up the fruit. I quarantined my other glider, a female, in a cage in a separate room so if she didn’t catch it, she won’t if it happens to be an illness. I messaged the breeder we got them from and I’m awaiting on a reply on what she thinks it is, but I’m concerned about the eating part.

His personality seems to be the same, he’s always bashful and kind of shy, maybe a little tiredness, but nothing drastic to notice.

Any advice on how to feed him the fruits or if anyone had the same poop issue would be amazing
Health related
Jun 28 2018
11:22:12 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I'd take some of that white poo in to the vet, along with the gliders and have some fecal tests done.

I read something about white poop not long ago but I can't seem to find it this morning and I don't want to state something inaccurately.

Poop colors can be effected by the foods they eat but there is something about white poop that isn't food related.

I know that poop that looks goldish white can be an indication of trich, it is difficult and contagious, which could be what I'm thinking of.

At any rate, a vet visit and fecal smear / floats would be in order.
Health related
Jun 28 2018
11:27:39 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
sorry can not help you with the poop issue.
I recommend a vet visit if you can't find a good reason for the problem.

My only thought was you are feeding HPW with chicken. the wombaroo or critterlove is a high protein staple. so it doesn't call for chicken, just the fruits and veggies. My gliders eat the OHPW, then corn first, then peas and grean beans. they are eating some of the rest berries and apples, but most days alot of the fruit is still not eaten. The only issues we have had is a few of the gliders are at maximum wieght about 160 grams (4 of 11)
Health related
Jun 28 2018
01:49:29 PM
WhiteFlapBlackEyes Joey 12 Posts
Tomorrow at 11 AM (EST) we’re taking him into the vet to get him examined and we have a bag that has a piece of his poop that was on a fleece from about a day ago, I’ll keep an update.

But usually he eats most of the fruit, probably going to try to throw some more veggies in there and see if he will eat those, I want something other than just chicken in his system.
Health related
Jun 30 2018
12:26:13 AM
We ended up taking him to the vet and everything was fine, vet said add more protein to his diet and the stool discoloration could be stress because we just got a puppy and she’s quite curious.
Health related
Jun 30 2018
08:16:06 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I agree with Byk, I'd reduce the protein rather than increase it.

There is no need for more protein with Hpw and given the choice gliders will usually eat the chicken over their staple and then not got the much needed vitamins and minerals from the staple. Hpw has more than enough protein in it on its own.

Stress poop is not white. Stress poop is bigger than their regular poo, it is lighter in color almost a light tan color and it is wetter and sticky but not runny.

Health related
Jun 30 2018
06:26:04 PM
Whatever the poop was, it’s a normal color now and the fecal came back with regular bacteria that is in any animal’s feces.

But the vet told me to feed chicken every day, where I did it Sunday’s and Wenesday’s usually, so if there is any other balance I should use for protein, it would be nice
Health related
Jun 30 2018
06:39:17 PM
ok here's the thing. Vets are not nutritionists. They are vets.

There is no need to feed any extra protein if your feeding a quality hpw consistently. There is already enough protein IN the hpw. By feeding extra protein with the diet, you are changing the whole diet and making it un balanced.

To much protein can be as bad as not enough, same with calcium.

There are times where I'll feed chicken on cheat nights. IF I run out of their staple I will feed a protein, fruit and veg. Once I make a new batch of staple, they get staple fruit and veg no other protein source.

IF Hpw needed added protein to make it balanced it would be included in the recipe but it is not.

Now let me ask you, what hpw are you using? They aren't all the same and some are NOT good quality.

exotic nutrition hpw? Critter Love Hpw?

Edited by - Leela on Jun 30 2018 06:44:54 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders