Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Peanuts??
Peanuts??
Question
Jul 02 2018
06:53:47 AM
Hi. I need to know if gliders can eats peanuts. I want to give my gliders some cashew nuts but I don't know its good or not.
Thats all. Thank you.

Edited by - Zackpetlover on Jul 02 2018 07:07:43 AM
Question
Jul 02 2018
09:57:14 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
No nuts or seeds, for several reasons.

1. Peanuts ( as well as crickets, and dried corn products ) have a very high risk of aflatoxins which are deadly to gliders.

Aflatoxin is produced by certain molds that affect Peanuts, dried corn, and crickets living in corn based products.

2. Nuts are very high in fat.

3. Gliders teeth are not designed to eat nuts and seeds. Their teeth are designed to compress the juices from foods, the pulp is spit out. The teeth don't grind nuts and seeds enough, their saliva doesn't break down the particles, nuts and seeds are not easily digested.

Feeding nuts and seeds regularly, often results in digestive blockages, constipation, impaction, often times resulting in the glider agonizingly slowly dying.

There is no delicate way to explain what it is like to watch a glider suffer this fate. Especially when it is so often avoidable by feeding safe snacks and foods.

Off topic chat
Jul 02 2018
10:20:06 AM
Zackpetlover Starting Member 0 Posts
Thank you very much Leela!!! I will avoid nuts for my glider.
News
Jul 05 2018
04:41:28 AM
gogogo202 Starting Member Visit gogogo202's Photo Album gogogo202's Journal 3 Posts
Oh my gosh!!! Thank you soooooo much this is very helpful to me thank you again.
Peanuts??

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Peanuts??