Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is this a good sign for bonding? (video - stretch out and kneading)
Behavior
Jul 19 2018
12:24:40 PM
We got Peggy and Peach on Monday morning (16 July), I won't lie it's been a learning curve even after doing a lot of research before we got them.

We've been trying to bond with them every opportunity we get, without interrupting their sleeping habits since they're in a new environment and still pretty young (I think). When we first got them on day 1 they didn't really eat anything except a few meal worms and slept most of the time.

Peach was an angel from day one, never really barking or trying to bite, more active than Peggy and generally jumping around when opportunity showed.
Peggy on the other hand was extremely crabby and would try to bite me until I finally had her in my hand then she was fine. She slowly walked over me and in my hands, but never jumped.

Tuesday, they slept 90% of the time, and had a little bit to eat.
Peach allowed us to touch her while she was sleeping and even allowed some belly rubbing, but she started barking when we wake her up at night. Afterwards she's fine.
Peggy was barking a bit less, but still attempted biting me a few times.

Wednesday we had them in pouches on our laps for a couple hours at night while we were watching TV and they both allowed (with some attempts and effort on Peggy's side) us to have our fingers in the pouch touching them.

Today, Thursday, they ate a lot, Peggy starting jumping around slightly and they played in the cage for a few minutes!

They both did some sort of stretching while we touched them.
Peach seemed to really enjoy some belly rubbing, stretching out her paw as it was happening..

And Peggy.. as crabby as she can get, allowed this (reffering to video) and I'm thinking this is a good sign?
Has anyone seen this kind of behavior? Is this a good sign for bonding?

Click on the image to open the video (new tab) or click this tinypic link
Behavior
Jul 19 2018
10:48:26 PM
Suggs2BU Joey 14 Posts
This morning when I woke up they were both climbing around the cage, I opened the bottom door and they both came over after a few seconds and climbed out onto my hands by themselves.

Peach repeatedly "bit" me at different places on my hand and fingers (it didn't hurt, but I couldn't help but twitch slightly to make her stop as she increased pressure).. should I let this happen? I have pretty rough hands, I think it would hurt for my fiance if they bit her in the same way.

Both enjoyed a meal worm or two and went to bed a couple minutes later.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders