Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Can you mix neutered males with females?
Question
Jul 20 2018
07:54:42 AM
I have 3 female suggies ranging from over a year old to just older than 6 month and was wondering if I put a neutered male with then will they start fighting with one another, or even him? Or will the male pair off with one of the girls and be secluded? Should I get a second cage if I am to do this (second big cage besides the initial introduction cage)? Any advice would be great! Thank you.
Question
Jul 20 2018
09:00:08 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
They should be fine with a neutered male as a whole unit and not buddy up, though we do see that sometimes in trios, not so much in quads

But with any intro there is always a risk that the current harmony of a colony can change. You will probably see a shift in who the dominant glider will be, every time a new glider is introduce that position can change. Minor bickering is ok and how they sort out who is in charge, but balling up, chasing all over the cage and one glider singled out is not ok.

You shouldn't need a second big cage, unless the introduction and long term living as a quad doesn't work. In that case another big cage would be needed and I would break the quad up into 2 pairs. Which ever 2 get along the best with each other.
Question
Jul 20 2018
02:00:23 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

We have 6 in one colony, all the males are neutered.
3 males and 3 females. the only issue we have is one male gus during outside cage time he will give chase to a few of the other gliders a few times in the 2 hours of playtime. but will curl up in pouch and sleep with them nicely right after.

the other colony was one neutered male and 3 females, good colony.
we added a neutered male and all is still happy and get along great.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders