Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing a rescued glider to our colony - help?
Question
Jul 21 2018
08:21:17 PM
We rescued a female glider about 2 months ago. Since her rescue, we took her to the vet twice; once because she was mutilating after the people that sold her to the girl we got her from separated her from a glider she grew up with, and a second time after that was cleared up to get a check up and fecal smear. During this time, we kept them in separate cages. In the beginning, also in separate rooms, but after a few weeks we moved the new cage into our existing colony's room. After getting the "all clear" from the vet to start introductions, we read every forum we could find and followed nearly everything to a t.

Neutral Territory, no food, no pouches, while they were sleepy, only 1 at a time, etc.. We have Three existing gliders (1 female and two intact males), and all three of our existing gliders lunge, grab, and fight with her as soon as they see her.

We have been pouch swapping almost every night, their cages are now inches from each other (just out of reach), and we have made no progress. I've read that most introductions go smoothly and occasionally it just won't work out, but I really want this to be a success. We have made about 10 attempts to introduce them. One or two started out OK, but they have gradually gotten worse. We tried daily for a while and then every few days, and now just once or twice on the weekends.

Any suggestions?
Question
Jul 21 2018
09:51:40 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
"We have Three existing gliders (1 female and two intact males), and all three of our existing gliders lunge, grab, and fight with her as soon as they see her. "

Personally, I wouldn't ever try to put a rescue/rehomed female with any intact males let alone 2 intact males and a female. Sorry There really is no nice way to say that.

The combination of 2 intact males and 2 females is a disaster waiting to happen, and not just with the introduction but with the breeding as well.

If it were me, I'd pull the female that is currently with the boys and try introducing her to the newer female and get the boys neutered.

Once neutered, AFTER the hormones reduce ( in about a month) try introducing the girls to the boys if you still want one colony/one cage.

But if you don't neuter the boys I wouldn't try another intro at all and just be content with a boy cage and a female cage, even then the boys may start to fight with each other requiring one or both to get neutered.

Question
Jul 22 2018
12:33:40 PM
Jordan_Fish Starting Member 2 Posts
Our existing female is more aggressive towards her than either of our males. One of our males is the offspring of our existing female and male. We separate our female once a month when she goes into heat (by placing an optional wall in the center of their existing/massive cage).

We got our first glider (male) young and our female at 8 weeks OOP. We allowed them to breed after roughly a year. We don't want to get our males neutered unless a situation arises that it absolutely needs to happen.

If this introduction doesn't work, we will probably just rescue another glider and introduce it to the new one. We get contacted a lot about adopting new gliders, but we know how much work is involved in adopting, so up until recently we told them we couldn't do it.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders