Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help with rebonding after punishment?
Question
Jul 27 2018
05:54:49 AM
I’ve had my gliders for a few months now, and the one is still pretty difficult. He’ll crab from the pouch even when I enter the room, if I look in the pouch, etc. I just got a bit mad with him now and I kept him up against the cage and blew on him (I know this is wrong, it was a stupid act of anger in the moment). He was obviously very shaken up during and after, and since it happened he’ll crab from the pouch just at the sound of me opening the cage and if he sees me it continues (or gets worse)

I know it’s my fault, but I was wondering if there was anything special to do to regain his trust, or is it just that it will set back the bonding process by a lot and I just need to keep doing what I’ve been doing for longer time? Or will this ruin any chance I have to bond with him? I feel terrible for it and know it was wrong, I just want to know if there’s anything I can do to help him trust me again after what I did.

I feel like he’ll just hate me after this, so I’m worried and would like some advice on what to do.
Question
Jul 27 2018
03:09:59 PM
scoot Joey 30 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by jbt513

I kept him up against the cage and blew on him (I know this is wrong, it was a stupid act of anger in the moment).

As in, you physically held him up against the cage?
Question
Jul 27 2018
06:16:12 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

gliders crab because it is their NATURE. IT IS WHAT THEY DO. some gliders
can crab forever. I have 2 colonies, I have 1 crabber in one, and 2 crabbers in the other. But over time they get to know me and my voice. So they do their
JOB AND CRAB AT THE NOISE I MAKE, then when he or she sees me they stop crabbing.
BUT you still need to get to the point they can look at you and know you are a SAFE THING, YOU ARE NOT DANGER so they can stop crabbing.

crabbing - to scare away danger. to alarm the colony of danger. IT IS THEIR JOB TO CRAB AT YOU.

dogs bark and glider crab.

Just let him crab, talk to him, feed him a treat, give him a pet. after awhile or after a LONG LONG time he will start to see you and stop crabbing.

Also some glider have a very hard time trusting humans, I can pet scarface, have her run at me for a treat then run away. but she will still crab at me, still give me a very small tiny nip just to tell me to leave her alone, but she will let me even pick her up without biting me. She just prefers to be left away from humans.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders