Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help! Glider’s fingernails pulled back/off
Health related
Jul 29 2018
10:56:30 PM

I was playing with my girl Zelda just now and noticed that she was licking/favoring her right front paw. When I got a closer look, I realized that two of her fingernails had pulled up and back from the quick (at least I think that’s what it is) to the point where they were barely hanging on her fingers at all. She seemed annoyed and kept licking her paw and avoiding putting pressure on it.

When one of her sisters (Maisie) came over to play with her, Zelda crabbed at Maisie to stay away. Maisie can’t really take a hint and can sometimes play rough so I moved Zelda to my spare cage. I put some fleece down so she wouldn’t have to walk on the bars and gave her softer toys to play with.

I don’t know what else to do tonight. I’m going to take her to the vet in the morning, but is there anything else I can do to make things more comfortable for Zelda? I’m a very anxious momma at times and I don’t want to do anything to cause her more pain. Any advice? I've included a photo of her paw so you can see what's going on. Thank you guys so much for your help!

Edited by - alyssajordan05 on Jul 29 2018 11:06:39 PM
Health related
Jul 30 2018
02:24:39 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
One of mine had one of her nails pulled from getting snagged when her nails were being cut. It was hanging initially and then it fell off. It grew back fairly quickly. Are those nails coming in underneath the ones hanging already?
Health related
Jul 30 2018
11:47:27 PM
alyssajordan05 Joey Visit alyssajordan05's Photo Album 25 Posts
You know, I initially thought that was the “quick” of her nail, but I suppose it could be a new nail. Should I trim off the nail that’s been pushed up or wait until I can see the vet? I tried to take her today but they told me the glider vet wouldn’t be in until tomorrow. :-/
Health related
Jul 31 2018
04:48:41 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
I left Roxie's on. It fell off or she took it off within a day or two and then the other nails eventually grew back. If you didn't get them to the vet yet, how do they look today? I was told they it would fall off or they would take it off so I did that and sure enough it was gone. She didn't seem to favor it after it was gone and went about her running and jumping ways as usual.
Health related
Aug 01 2018
12:52:49 AM
alyssajordan05 Joey Visit alyssajordan05's Photo Album 25 Posts
I did take her to the vet today and since one of the nails had fallen off (you were right) they just trimmed the other one. They put a yellow powder on to help stop bleeding and then I was given something called chlorohexiderm or chlorohexidine and the vet said to put it on her nails using a q-tip twice a day for five to seven days. I’m also supposed to keep Zelda separate from her sisters until there’s little to no redness left on her nails to prevent them from grooming it and making it worse.

She’s doing ok, she was quite upset after the vets but she handled the visit like a trooper. I gave her some treats and she sat on my left shoulder (her favorite spot) once we got home, but other than that she’s been fairly withdrawn. She hasn’t come out of her pouch yet and it’s almost 2am here. I keep checking on her periodically. I’m still worried about her but I think the vet visit did help put me at ease a bit. The vet told me to come back if there was any new swelling or redness on those nails.

Zelda is such a sweet, calm, loving glider and I can’t bear the thought of her being in pain. I’m watching her closely to make sure nothing else happens. Thanks for your help! :-)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders