Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How do you get your glider back after tent time?
Question
Aug 07 2018
10:33:33 PM
The only way I can get Oreo back after tent time into his cage is by my dad grabbing him with a glove but I don’t want him to associate that with the tent so how can I get him to get in his pouch or something after tent time? I tried putting treats in but that doesn’t work. Also what time is best for tent time?
Question
Aug 07 2018
11:06:35 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
when i do use a tent, I do it in the day time no later than about 4 pm. my house is fairly dark and i leave the light off.

The gliders are usually only active for about a half hour or so, during that time the pouch is tucked underneath me so they can smell it but not get in it, after that they are ready for a nap n some treats

I just lay the pouch or bonding bag down and they go in it on their own. If they don't go in I turn the light on, then usually go in within a few minutes, This is true even for gliders new to me.

But please keep in mind the gliders may be new to me but IM not new to tent time and my confidence is pretty high when handling my gliders. That can make a big difference. Also, even the new to me gliders have the benefit of being with other gliders that are not new to me, so they typically follow the more confident gliders.

it was not always this easy for me. Before i got a tent i did bathroom time and there were mannnnnnnny times i needed help from my bf especially if i had them out after 5 pm when they were more alert and much faster.

The gliders that are used to me usually go in my clothes instead of the pouch n when i'm ready to put them up i either have to peel off my shirt with them inside it
and show them their cage, or have my boyfriend help me if he's here

This might help you, it did me when i first started out... im not sure who this girl is, but the same method can be used inside the tent as she is doing with the cage.

But be careful, the glider shouldn't just be pulled off the tent walls, you will have to wiggle the feet free so you don't pull a nail off especially if they aren't trimmed.

A friend of mine makes fleece sleeves she uses that might help you too instead of gloves.

Question
Aug 08 2018
01:10:29 AM
Oreo Joey 25 Posts
Thank you so much for answering! The video was very helpful as well I’ll defintetly try it
Question
Aug 08 2018
03:36:15 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I take dinner in at about 930 pm. I open cage and get usually 3 gliders jumping out to run around glider room. then after eating I get 2 more. one glider usually stays in cage unless I take her out. At about 1130 to midnight, I watch tv in room and hang out with gliders, I notice I have few visitors. I usually find 4 glider in cage and 2 out.

to get glider back.
1. put sleeping pouch on ground and let them go into it, newer gliders are usually very happy to go back into pouch.
2. I have a tupperware full of dried mealworms, I shake it, the sound is one they know well, and they come running. I give them one mealworm, quickly grab any runners up before they can take off again.
3. I put fleece on my hand and make a quick grab of gliders.

These days our gliders are mostly to the point I can just pick them up or let them walk on my hand and I put them back into cage.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Aug 08 2018 03:38:33 AM
Question
Aug 08 2018
10:00:23 AM
Oreo Joey 25 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply! It Was also very helpful

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders