Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Two Gliders Each Eating Half of OHPW Diet
Food, Diet
Aug 12 2018
01:01:00 PM
Wife and I recently adopted 2 male joeys (Asti and Pinot - Yes we may love wine a little too much...)

We are feeding them the OHPW diet. Currently we use one bowl for the staple, one for the salad mix, and place both on the cage floor. Good news is, when we wake in the morning both are almost empty. I am a little concerned about proper diet between the two however only because when we are all awake together at night, Asti goes over and eats the staple and Pinot goes over and eats the salad mix. Goes like that for the entire time we are awake. This has happened since the first night so I don't believe its one or the other dominating what they like. They just seem to naturally gravitate to one of the two diet portions. Of course, I cannot see what they eat overnight so maybe its more balanced than it seems. Just want to make sure they are both getting a balanced diet since I know they need both parts for it to be healthy.

I am worrying too much or has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!
Food, Diet
Aug 12 2018
01:17:56 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
You have done some research and are doing very well for being so new!

I get what your saying and really that is something we all wonder about when there is more than one glider in a cage. It's not something we can really control.

One thing you can try is offering the liquid part as a treat during the day to the one that you notice eating more of the salad, just put like a half a tablespoon in a cap or something shallow and offer it to him.

And vice versa offer salad as the treat to the one eating the staple, offer a few pieces of fruit or veg from the salad it should thaw pretty quickly if your just taking a few pieces out.

IF you use the diet as treats during the day, reduce the portions by the same amount you used for the treat at night for normal feeding time.

It doesn't always work they may not be hungry enough to eat much of it during the day, but if it does you will at least know they are getting some of both parts of the diet. It just happens to be at a different time of day.

Food, Diet
Aug 12 2018
01:28:56 PM
R1Guy Starting Member US 6 Posts
Thanks again!

Are you able to mix both staple and salad together in one bowl, coating the veggies/fruit with the staple? Or is that a problem somehow?

My wife and I researched sugar gliders for almost a year before deciding to adopt and I am glad we did. I think we are better off than someone who gave into an impulse buy. But only so much you can get from researching and youtubes. These are complicated little boys! Now, got to ask questions as we see things in real life with the fellas.
Food, Diet
Aug 12 2018
01:34:32 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
absolutely yes you can pour the staple right over the salad if you want, that's how i do it.

It's very thin/watery so not much of it will really cling to the fruit n veg but it will hang on to some of it so he should get a taste of it at least and he will get some of it on his hands and clean it off as well...
Food, Diet
Aug 12 2018
01:45:30 PM
Thanks. I think I will try it that way.
Food, Diet
Aug 12 2018
11:08:19 PM
Emmikate Joey Visit Emmikate's Photo Album 33 Posts
Mine doesn't eat it mixed. I have notices she doesn't like her veggies soggy. Diva!
Food, Diet
Aug 13 2018
06:59:17 AM
Last night I portioned the salad mix into two bowls and put the frozen staple on top to melt over it. Got up this morning and the food bowls were mostly empty. So I'll call it a success!
Food, Diet
Aug 13 2018
09:01:43 AM
awesome!!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders