Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider biting EVERYTHING since adding quarantined pets?!
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
09:51:08 PM
So I got two rehomed gliders a few nights ago. They are in a separate cage from my girl but close enough to see. I took away the fleece that made it so they couldn't see each other and my original glider is going CRAZY BITING EVERYTHING and going to the side where she can see them. Is that normal? Should I keep the fleece up so they can't see each other? I want I toes to go well in a month.
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
10:30:38 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I wouldn't say "normal", but only because in all the rehomes and surrenders I've gotten I've never had that happen here.

My current gliders ( current at the time ) have always been indifferent to any new arrivals I've gotten, except for one, and he was an intact male. I had a couple girls interested in him right away lol but they only really showed it when I had them out in the open near his cage which was like 5 feet across the room from their cage.

This isn't to say that it isn't "normal" for your glider, or other peoples gliders... it's just not been my experience.

you could try putting the fleece back up, but they will still probably smell each other and already know they are there... but it might calm your original girl down a little.
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
10:37:16 PM
Emmikate Joey Visit Emmikate's Photo Album 33 Posts
I put it back up and I can't tell if it's made it any better. She jumps everytime they move. They are completely unbothered by her but she is flipping out. At least I have noticed she has an energy I've never seen in her. I hope it's a good thing.
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
10:39:08 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
how long has she been by herself ?, i know we've spoken before but i don't remember
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
10:39:26 PM
One is intact until Thursday though I wonder if that is part of it. She is only four months old and the are about 6 m.
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
10:40:34 PM
Oh don't worry about forgetting haha I am terrible at remembering things! She has been with me two months now.
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
10:44:12 PM
ok yep.... it's Normal. That detail alone explains everything.

At 6 months old an intact male has probably already hit sexual maturity and your girl Olivia is just approaching the point she'll be coming into heat for the first time.

No amount of fleece separating them visibly is gonna help prolly you may want to move the new pair to another room until his neuter and hormones reduce which will also reduce his smell which is driving Olivia insane right now
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
10:46:20 PM
I wish I could move them but it's not possible. They are in my room and a clear condition when I got her was they stay in there. Being on opposite ends of the room probably won't help. Either. But oh God he better not get the girl he is with pregnant I do not want a baby.
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
10:50:55 PM
well it's ok if ya can't move them, just expect Olivia to be a little more hyper alert and energetic lol. Give her some safe things to chew on might help too.

The potential for babies is quite possible even after you neuter him. Females can hold a pregnancy in stasis for up to 12 months. Not trying to scare you, they may not have bred yet, but you do need to know it is a possibility.
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
11:00:22 PM
All I can do right now is just pray nothing happens baby wise. All I know is she is going wild and for the first time smells so bad it wakes me up. I am contributing it to everything being new and dealing with the smell lol.
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
11:07:18 PM
my one boy didn't stink to bad, but one of my rescues did when we first got him omg it was awful and took about a month to really get better after his neuter.

Yeh if the male stinks that bad it wakes you up, your girl is going out of her mind wanting to get to him and her hormones just kicked into over drive

You think males are bad when it comes to bein horny you haven't seen anything till you see your females bein straight up hussies They seriously have no shame sometimes lol

They are young at 6 months and most likely aren't ready to be parents even if they did breed, so lets just hope for the best. If it happens then it happens...
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
11:13:49 PM
Omg I think you hit it on the head. She is going wild. I have a scent sashay right next to my head lol. I am sure they are siblings from what the former owner said. It's a long story but they were already the second owners, purposefully temporary. They looked into getting him fixed but never did.
Behavior
Aug 12 2018
11:27:24 PM
she will simmer down might take her a few more days though lol.

It's not an uncommon situation unfortunately.

If they are siblings, this young, if they have bred, they will probably dispose of any joeys before you are even aware she had any.

it's not uncommon for first time parents to cannibalize babies, the risk gets higher of it happening if something is wrong with the babies.

And sometimes the pair are super parents right out of the gate, even with oops babies ( oops babies are inbred babies )

There is no way to know how it's going to go, all you can do is be aware and prepared... def get him neutered which you already have an appointment for sounds like... really that is the most responsible thing you can do for them right now.

You basically inherited whatever the consequences are for someone else's choice to not neuter him sooner or in the very least separate the siblings before he was sexually mature. It happens a lot with gliders. Most of the time due to neuters being so expensive in some areas.

Edited by - Leela on Aug 12 2018 11:30:44 PM
Behavior
Aug 13 2018
09:56:07 AM
It is kind of expensive here.
Behavior
Aug 13 2018
10:03:31 AM
In a two hour radius from me the cost varies a lot...

a half hour east of me neuters are 78.00 traditional pom on

a half hour west of me neuters start out at $700.00 and can go up.

an hour north west of me lazer pom off is around a 65.00. For a breeder it's 45.00

2 hours south of me it's about 60.00 lazer pom off. For a rescue facility, it's 25.00

Breeders and legit rescues can usually get discounted rates because of the volume of neuters they bring.

Behavior
Aug 13 2018
12:06:45 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
I have 4 in one cage and 2 in another. I haven't been able to merge the colonies since I got the 2 in October. One in the cage of 4 still flips out and attacks the bar when it sees the other 2 and the same with the other two when they see her. The other 3 in the one cage of kind of oblivious to the other 2 when they see them. They're chill. I've done pouches swaps for months and the cages are side by side with separation space with fleece covers. I've made it a point now to keep the sides facing each other covered so they don't stress themselves out.
Behavior
Aug 13 2018
09:19:46 PM
Oh God I hope mine can get along in one cage. As for cost we don't have laser here sadly but at least it's only 90 bucks where I am going. Other places are more and this one was suggested by a local breeder.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders