Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Original mosiac
Original mosiac
Question
Aug 13 2018
08:16:21 PM
If you must have one mosaic parent to have mosaic joey where did the original ones come from? And what would a lue and a standard produce?
Question
Aug 13 2018
09:21:15 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Oh Genetics!

This is not my strongest suit so I'll do the best I can

Mo's, yes one parent must be a mo to produce a mo.

I believe the first ones came from a Breeder named Helen Moreno years ago. She was basically pairing up all kinds of gliders to see what they'd produce. You can read more about the mo lines and Helen on the glider nursery
http://www.glidernursery.com/sterile-lines.html

A leu and a standard would only produce standard greys unless the standard grey parent has leu het or plat het. Then they could produce a leu or a plat which ever one proves out.

Question
Aug 13 2018
10:32:17 PM
Riconlilomommy Joey Visit Riconlilomommy's Photo Album DE, USA 35 Posts
Thank you so much! I feel silly asking but I just assumed when I first started researching gliders that a mosaic was the product of a standard and one of the white variations. So when I started researching breeding and genetics I always wondered how the first one came about if you need one to breed another.
Question
Aug 14 2018
07:44:53 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Don't feel silly, it didn't make sense to me either until I was told about Helen. I was told they used to call her the Frankenstein breeder.

Genetics is a topic I get lost very easily on, just to reply to your question i had a breeder in pm making sure I was wording it correctly, the breeding 101 group up confirming and or correcting what I thought and the glider nursery up to verify my memory was correct

I've tried to wrap my head around it and learn it but it just loses me so quickly mostly because of the lingo they use is like a foreign language to me I get the basics of it but thats about it.

That glider nursery site has some great genetic information on it if you wander around on that site and look at all the categories, the breeding 101 group can actually teach you all that stuff if your interested in it. I try then by about the 6th comment my eyes glaze over with all the back n forth they do when they are sorting lines out lol.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/breeding101/ Shelly Sterk runs it the glider nursery is also Shelly's site, the group is strictly about breeding and genetics, Nancy Ford, Shelly are probably two of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to genetics kinship and coi stuff..

Edited by - Leela on Aug 14 2018 07:53:17 AM
Question
Aug 14 2018
11:53:43 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
The biggest problem being that she did not keep notes (or her prairie dogs ate them) in the case of mozaics we are quite sure there is some caramel in the mix, which is why there have been problems of male sterility in some lines (X and Y incompatibility between the 2 subspecies).
As to where the character came from, most likely a single random mutation in one individual, could have happened anywhere, and is not related to her breeding practices.
Question
Aug 15 2018
08:46:02 AM
Yeh, the carmels and sterility are discussed on the nursery site link

I would still think it had a little something to do with her breeding practices though, if she hadn't been experimenting it likely wouldn't have been discovered so early on. Her breeding practices also helped shape the breeding practices now, I think anyway because New breeding standards were made and developed after that.

In the beginning there weren't many standards for breeding or anything else. There wasn't lineage, there wasn't glider specific diets, there weren't cage requirements, there wasn't safely sewn cage sets or toys or any of what we consider important today ( speaking mostly of US standards, as all of those standards vary depending on what country your in ). All of that was developed over the years mostly due to accidents, medical problems and time to learn what works best for them.

I haven't had coffee yet but from what I've learned that's what I believe...

Original mosiac

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Original mosiac