Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Lumps on stomach?? Joeys in pouch? Help.
Health related
Aug 18 2018
02:36:46 AM
We just noticed our female's stomach looks odd. She's not super active but, even our male is not sleeping with her and idk if something's wrong or she's just overweight?? She's about 6 years old. I took pics. The male is supposed to be neutered too. We live in a rural area and THERE'S ONE exotic vet locally and he's closed on the weekends. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas or if I should be worried?? She's eating fine and uses bathroom too.

Health related
Aug 20 2018
11:28:50 AM
Pearson Joey 35 Posts
Hmm she looks normal to me...?

As for sleeping in different bags they could just want some space.

My gliders sleep all over the place, some sleep in the cubes, some sleep in the sleeping pouch. The more options the better, gliders like to "move house".

Has anything changed recently that might be the reason for them sleeping in different bags? How long has this been going on?
Health related
Aug 21 2018
12:02:00 AM
Shystarre Starting Member Visit Shystarre's Photo Album 2 Posts
They started sleeping separate about 2weeks ago. The side pic, you can see the "lumps" hanging. On my support group, people are saying she's just overweight. Only 1 person said she has Joeys.
Health related
Aug 21 2018
10:24:12 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
That glider is not fat/overweight. When gliders are fat they are big everywhere not just the belly. What does she weigh?

If there was only one lump on that side view, the one by the back legs, I would be tempted to say joeys. But, the front lump is to high to be a joey bump and it's distinctively a separate bump.

If it were joeys, the bumps would be in this area. You can easily rule joeys out by inspecting the male to see if he is indeed neutered.

Because she is sleeping separately, and the front lumps position, I would lean towards something medical and suggest a vet visit. Sleeping separately is usually a good indication something is off even if you can't see any clear symptoms.

Edited by - Leela on Aug 21 2018 10:27:00 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders