Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Buying older gliders
Buying older gliders
Question
Sep 13 2018
07:48:34 PM
If I was to buy two bonded female 1 year old sugar gliders from an owner who can’t take care of them anymore would it be hard to bond with them. Where would I start with gaining their trust if it is possible
Question
Sep 13 2018
09:14:05 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
We got most of our gliders rehomed, about 1 year old or older. ONLY our first 2 were joeys.

I would say that gliders have a certain personality. some are pretty easy to bond with, some are very hard. If they are friendly now, they should be friendly with you pretty fast. If they are nervous and scared with their first owner that is how they will be with you. Usually when we get 2 gliders one is much more friendly and the other is much more timid.

You will have to check them out, see how they act, then figure out what to do.
With any glider I would start slow when new. Once you see how they are, you can then decide if you can move faster.

Again, some of our glider are scared of humans, we have 2 that won't bite, but will move or run away from me. I can pick them up but they will try to leave me.

Our 6 colony we have 4 friendly that come out and visit me during playtime. Then a male that is half friendly, and the last female just wont warm up to me, she will come for treats but then retreats, I can handle her, but she will just try to leave me and go back to the cage. hope this gives you some idea at the variety of personality you can get with different gliders.
Question
Sep 13 2018
09:16:34 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Robtrice

If I was to buy two bonded female 1 year old sugar gliders from an owner who can’t take care of them anymore would it be hard to bond with them. Where would I start with gaining their trust if it is possible

I reread your post. If the gliders are BONDED to their owner, friendly and easy to handle. they should be that way with you pretty fast.
Question
Sep 14 2018
12:43:23 PM
Robtrice Joey 10 Posts
Thank you I’m going to try to visit them soon and see how things go. I’m kind of a new gflider mom to this I was taught the wrong way with my first one so what’s the right way to bond with a new glider
Question
Sep 15 2018
06:30:45 PM
If they are bonded to one person, they should be willing to walk on you, sniff you and they should be friendly with you pretty fast. You shouldn't have to do much at all....if they are friendly.

Otherwise, I would start slow, talk to them in the cage, give them about three days or so to get used to a new house. then get a glider SAFE small room/tent, and sit with them, let them run around, maybe run on you. You could, during the DAY, put them in a bonding pouch and let them sleep with you. I wouldn't do the pouch at night, as they are usually awake and active, they won't be happy in the pouch.
at 7am, our colony is awake and active 9am asleep for the day, at 9pm they are getting up and getting active.

don't try to pick them up if they don't like it. instead, try to get them to
walk on you on their own. I put my arm or hand lower then them when they are on cage wall and try to come up slowly so they will walk on my hand. or offer them a treat but have it just far enough away they have to step on your arm to get it.

your looking to build a trust in each other, them trusting you, you trusting them. it can be a slow process.

When we got sophie, she jumped on my wife's shoulder, checked things out, then moved to my shoulder, checked things out. and that was it, no biting, easy pickup, friendly. big mama was almost the opposite.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Sep 15 2018 06:33:26 PM
Question
Sep 16 2018
04:18:03 PM
Robtrice Joey 10 Posts
Thank you a lot
Question
Sep 18 2018
02:57:59 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Robtrice

No. My youngest glider was 8 months when I got him, oldest 5 years, and they all bonded well. Age doesn't matter in the bonding. What matters is how well-socialized they are with humans. The tamer they are the faster they bond.
Buying older gliders

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Buying older gliders