GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Going away for some time and caring for gliders
Health related
Sep 17 2018
09:45:04 PM
Hey all!
I have been trying to determine the best way to take care of my gliders when I'm gone. I've pretty much read there is no good way to leave gliders for a weekend withiut a pet sitter. If anyone knows of a way to leave them with food and water for a weekend please let me know! How ever since I realize this is unlikely, I've heard a bunch of people take them with them and use collapsible dog crates for travel. Now I can't quite imagine the size being used but is this something they stay in all weekend when I travel? Is it big enough for that or does it not really matter because it's a short period of time. Do they get stressed being in a small dog carrier compared to their usual size cage? I'm just trying to imagine this scenario in my head. I will be living in a new area and don't trust strangers in my apartment and don't really want to spend $20 a day to have a pet sitting company come over for 5 seconds to pop an ice cube in a tray.

Please let me know how you guys handle going out of town and taking suggies with you or leaving them at home if someone has come up with a good and safe plan for that!
Health related
Sep 18 2018
09:44:17 AM
Pearson Joey 35 Posts
I wouldn't take them with you.

Traveling stresses animals out and keeping them in a travel cage for a weekend doesn't sound fair or fun for them.

There's also the possibility that they get out of their travel cage and you lose them away from home. It's not worth the risk IMO.

If you have any family or friends in your area you're comfortable giving an extra key for the weekend that's the best option. Leave them with instructions and everything prepared for them.

If not you can prepare enough food in their cage for 3-4 days depending on if you'll be gone for 2-3 days. Not the best but they'll have food and water for the days you're gone.

Health related
Sep 18 2018
10:46:25 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
the only thing I can think of is to leave them with several full water bottles, I would have at least 3. then give them several bowls of happy glider cereal. I know some pet store gliders only get pellets and they survive. I would put the bowls around the cage and try to make it so they can't be tipped over.
that would be the worse case situation. but I would do everything I could to find someone to feed them.
Health related
Sep 18 2018
02:25:58 PM
scoot Joey 30 Posts
I recommend boarding them with a breeder if you can find one nearby.

It does cost money, but it gives peace of mind. If something goes wrong at your place while your gone (AC dies, Fire, etc...) or if one of your gliders gets sick, making a bunch of noise or gets their nail stuck in something, there is someone there to help. Also its usually easy. Boarders who have gliders themselves will already have good food, meaning you don't need to prep anything else. :3

Edited by - scoot on Sep 18 2018 02:29:38 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders