Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
what kind of food I can feed my sugar glider
Question
Sep 21 2018
08:00:51 AM
Hi everyone in going to be getting a sugar glider in a few months but I've been doing my reascher on them like what food to feed them and avoid but my question is the stores foods that are in bags like Forti-diet fruit blend, extreme trail mix, natural treat mix; their all for birds but idk if it's alright trying to get everything I need now so I can be ready for the lil girl too bring home.
Question
Sep 25 2018
01:47:52 PM
scoot Joey 30 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Kara Staples

Hi everyone in going to be getting a sugar glider in a few months but I've been doing my reascher on them like what food to feed them and avoid but my question is the stores foods that are in bags like Forti-diet fruit blend, extreme trail mix, natural treat mix; their all for birds but idk if it's alright trying to get everything I need now so I can be ready for the lil girl too bring home.

No. Nothing store bought will be complete for a healthy glider. If you want them to be healthy you will need to prepare something special at home.

There are a handful that are considered good. I personally use www.thepetglider.com/pages/the-glider-nutrition-system for my two little dudes. I've also heard good things about BML and a few others that I can't recall the names of right now. I'm sure someone else can chime in and name a few more.

There are dry foods for gliders. You probably won't find them at a local store. There are some on the website that I linked for the diet. But you shouldn't only feed them that. It is recommended to set out a dry food along side a suggested diet. The home-cooked diet will be the minimum requirement. The dry food is an optional add on for them to snack on.

Edited by - scoot on Sep 25 2018 01:51:24 PM
Question
Sep 26 2018
11:01:51 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I use Ohpw or critterlove plus. It is a honey plus protein powder staple, plus a variety of fruits and veggies.

critterlove.com has a website for that version.
Question
Sep 28 2018
06:50:32 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
It's ok to start planning what your going to feed in advance, but it won't guarantee the gliders you get will eat the diet you choose.

The type of bird food and store bought food your speaking of is not ideal for gliders and will not nutritionally provide all they need. Gliders should not be fed seeds and nuts like birds or rodents, their teeth are not designed to break them down enough to digest them.
n
First, I would ask the breeder what diet they are currently being fed, if it's a well known widely used diet ( Bml, Critter love hpw, even Tpg ) you might want to keep them on that.

If the diet they are currently on isn't well known or widely used then you'd want to look at other diets. The two I recommend are

Bml http://www.bmldiet.com/bml-recipe.html

and Critter Love https://www.critterlove.com/

Between the two Bml is easier to make and understand for new owners, in my opinion.

They both have their pros and cons... Bml you can find all the ingredients locally, Critter Love you have to order the staple online. Bml takes a little longer to prepare nightly, Critter Love takes a lot longer to prepare in advance. Bml takes up little freezer space, critter love can take up a lot of freezer space depending on how many gliders you have. Both diets have been widely used for years and have been tested.

Each diet has their own fruits and veg that need to be fed with the staple, so be sure to read each diet instructions and feeding directions and follow
them.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders