Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Gliders maybe ate plastic
Health related
Sep 23 2018
05:43:49 PM
So my husband and I went on vacation for 3 days and had a friend look after our three gliders.

I have a fabric tapestry on the wall behind my glider enclosure. The tapestry is held up by two cheap walmart brand adhesive hooks but one of them fell, and I guess it fell close enough to the cage for the gliders to grab it. The adhesive surface is basically a foam sticker. It's about 1" x 1" and maybe 2 mm thick. The sticky side was stuck against the cage bars when I came in and it looks like about half of it has been chewed off.

I don't think our pet sitter noticed and I have no idea how long ago they did this, or which of the three gliders ate it. To make matters worse, my vet is going to be out of state until October.

How serious is this? What do I need to watch out for? If necessary, I can take them to another vet but I know my bill will easily be over $1k to have all three of them seen. Obviously if this is serious, then I won't care about the costs. But if this sort of thing is common and not a big deal, I'd rather save the trip and money.

So... how worried should I be? :(
Health related
Sep 24 2018
07:07:06 AM
Pearson Joey 35 Posts
Well... My gliders will chew anything to be destructive but not eat everything they chew?

I used to use a plastic shower curtain against the wall facing the back of the cage to help with them being messy. But one time the cage got pushed back to far and they started chewing the shower curtain.

By the way it looked it was torn up, and you could see smaller parts of the chewed shower curtain on the floor too. We watched them for a couple days and everything was fine? They didn't actuslly eat any of the plastic, they just tore it up really good, and it probably didn't taste good!

Mainly watch them, they could be fine and it's possible they didn't eat the plastic. If you notice anything out of the ordinary I would definitely take them though.

Edited by - Pearson on Sep 24 2018 07:08:27 AM
Health related
Sep 25 2018
12:55:26 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
Watch them closely, make sure they're eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally. Check them for dehydration. Unless they act abnormally I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on them for the next few days. If they don't pass any foam in their feces they probably didn't actually eat it and just chewed on it.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders