Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What is going on with my Female sugar glider?
Question
Sep 27 2018
01:12:44 PM
Hello, 2 months ago I adopted a female sugar glider from a friend who couldn't take care of her. She is 2 years old. Used to eat only sugar glider gravy and yogurt drops so I did change her diet. Back track I have another male sugar glider same age i adopted 5 months ago. He is the sweetest thing who is not very vocal unless I don't leave a night light on during the night . The female on the other hand is very vocal very grumpy complete opposite. They get depressed if they are not together. Both of them are not fixed. Recently I have noticed she has been eating a lot more then what she was. Now she won't let the male eat and makes like a snipping noise to him. I have separated them to make sure they both eat the same amount. My question is could she possibly be pregnant? How can I tell? Also I worry that she is starting to bully Milo. Any suggestions? I also do the THE PET GLIDER FRESH DIET.
Question
Sep 27 2018
02:07:09 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
You should follow one of the approved diets. I think you should give them
both the same diet. You can add two feeding areas so they can eat separate.
glider gravy is good, with yogurt drops (SUGAR) is VERY BAD. with glider gravy is the same as critterlove, and is same as OHPW you glider should have some
fruits and veggies, (HEALTHY GOOD, NOT SUGAR) critterlove has a web site that
lists several glider salads. I use number 4.
with glider gravy/ohpw/critterlove they have pregnant versions. critterlove/glider gravy
has breeders version, Ohpw asks you to DOUBLE the wombaroo protein powder.

You need to fix the male or you will be having babies.

all gliders act different, we have 11 at the moment, and they all are different. some are the colony crabbers, others NEVER crab. some are grumpy and will nip if I try to pick them up, others will never bit even if they don't want to be picked up.

I don't do babies, but I have read the females belly with get bigger with lumps if she has joey/joey's.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Sep 27 2018 02:08:27 PM
Question
Sep 28 2018
04:54:37 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
The pet glider fresh diet aka Tpg diet aka the Priscilla Price diet... is a well known diet and widely used.

Its not one I personally recommend tho. The vitamin supplement is sprinkled on and the gliders can eat around it. The base of the diet isn't very consistent and leaves much of the fruit and veg combinations up to the owner rather than using what actually works best for that specific diet.

You can try multiple feeding stations to help with the food aggression and or a diet change ( the aggression maybe stemming from not getting their nutritional needs met from the tpg diet especially if the supplement isnt being used or eaten.)

Females can not be fixed. Any time you put a intact male with a female there is a high chance they will produce.

While I understand you separated them to ensure they are both eating,separating them can cause them considerable stress especially if she does have joeys in pouch. Dad plays an important role in raising joeys. It would be wise to neuter the male and get the food aggression addressed rather than separating a bonded pair.

Question
Sep 28 2018
07:16:11 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I need to correct a statement I made pre dawn and pre coffee this morning...

Females are not usually "fixed" becauase their reproductive system is very complex and the procedure to spay them is very invasive and complicated. It is only done when medically necessary and even then is weighed very heavily by the vets and owners before the decision is made.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders