Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
I need some help with my 7-8 wk old oop baby glider
Question
Oct 08 2018
06:04:50 AM
So I got my sugar glider maybe about a week ago and what I was told was to hold her once I got home and I did and I wasnt friegeneted from her crabbing but then she got out of her cage and I suppose I scared her by catching her and ever since then ive tried bonding with her with the bonding pouch but she just runs out the pouch and im getting frustrated and then last night I actually went near her cage with apple sauce on my fingers and she licked it off but then when I tried later on she whipped me with her tail now I just got Yogurt melts and she loves them when i put them in her treat bowl but when I try to give them to her she runs away.So im just wondering am I doing something wrong?Im trying my hardest to bond with her ive wanted a sugar glider for a few years now and finally after getting one I don't want to screw it up.

Edited by - Alpha on Oct 08 2018 06:05:21 AM
Question
Oct 08 2018
02:43:15 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
first... relax.
second. bonding can take a long time, depending on the glider can take a really long time.

I would slow down for a few weeks, start with sitting next to cage at night when she comes out for food and talk to her. give her a few treats threw the cage bars.
if that works out, then days later try opening cage door and hand feeding her a few treats.

a REAL bonding pouch comes with a zipper, so you put her in, zip it up and she CAN'T get out.

have a piece of fleece available, about 2 foot by 2 foot. if she gets loose, I think its best to try to cover her with this then take control of her, then put her back to cage.

If you want to keep bonding in pouch that is ok to, most gliders PUT OFF AFFECTS OF THESE LITTLE MISHAPS. My gliders don't like nail cutting, but they don't hold it against me. gliders act one way at sleepy daytimes, gliders act differently at awake night times. One of my gliders acts like they don't want to be around me after waking up, but about 1 hour later want to get a treat from me.

But you do want to avoid your glider thinking your hands are a bad thing, so I let gliders walk on me more then try to grab them, I get them to walk on my hand to get a dried mealworm or the best treat LIVE mealworms. over time your glider will start staying you your hand to eat the treats.

for bonding pouch, its best to find time you will be sitting still most of the time, but glider in pouch, ZIP UP QUICKLY, and sit with glider talk to them, and let them sleep. so bonding pouch, IMO, is to be used during daytime sleep hours, NOT night time. when finished, but zipped up pouch in cage then open, so they are in cage when they leave pouch.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat