Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Miniature glider ?
Miniature glider ?
Question
Oct 10 2018
07:42:54 AM
Ok, I know there’s no such thing as a miniature sugar glider- but I can’t find any references in any vet journal or publication about dwarfism in gliders either... as a medical professional, I completely understand the possibility of genetic mutation which results in a smaller that normal stature and that it’s completely possible in any animal. But have any of you ever seen one? A remarkably smaller than average glider that is?

Here’s why I ask... my female had twin girls. One of them was rejected approximately 3 weeks out of pouch. At that time she wasbmuvh smaller than her twin sister. But she seemed to be ok, and was developmentally hitting the right milestones- fur, walking, eyes opened when they should- etc etc. she was just super tiny. I wasn’t exactly surprised when she was rejected. I’ve never had a rejected Joey ever in the 11 years I’ve been involved in gliders and breeding. So she was my first and like any good mom- I took to the internet to research like crazy, and call every Vet I knew. In the end, I went with Suzs sugar gliders website advise. Ordered up her rejecred Joey formula and got to nursing a baby glider. Now 3 1/2 weeks later... we had a few touch and go moments in the beginning, but she is a strong healthy little girl. Completely spoiled. She hasn’t gained weight daily, at a whooping 1 gram increment... as of today she weighs 20 grams. And she is 2 1/3” long from butt to nose, and that’s flatting her out. If I measure her just as she sits normally, she’s 1 5/8” (measurements not including tail obviously)

She’s healthy and playful, has a personality and a half.

Her twin sister is 3 times bigger is size. I know it’s not fair to compare them given the diet difference, but.... at this age she should be a whole lot bigger. Have any of you ever had a teeny tiny, a dare tonuse the word mini- glider?
Question
Oct 11 2018
06:20:35 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
I have one that is smaller than all the rest. I call Roxie the "littlest girl" :-) When all the other were in the 80g range she was staying at 60g. Granted she eats her food very slow and the others gulp all theirs down and steal her worms and she throws a fit when they try/do, even after feeding her separately she still is smaller than the rest size wise. She's up to around 78g now FINALLY but body structures are still smaller. She's active, eats well, etc. She's def a petite glider in size, but sweet as can b.
Question
Oct 12 2018
11:55:18 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts

Yes I've seen it, but it wasn't my situation there was a post on here I responded to and the owner happened to be local to me so I met her and the joeys and made a team to help her try to hand raise the joey... The original post is here http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60693&whichpage=1

I don't know that I would call it "miniature gliders" or even "dwarfism", I would describe it as "failure to thrive" as the owner did on her post. I also feel that the mother knows the joey isn't thriving and or senses something is off with the joey and that's why she rejected it.

These joeys are the same age born at the same time. Gram was very well taken care of but despite all the owners efforts he passed away. His brother is thriving and doing well. Gram struggled to gain weight and keep it if he did gain, he teetered on 10 and 11 grams for a few days but did seem to start gaining for a week or two before he passed.

I'm sure the owner would be happy to talk to you about him if you would like more information let me know n I'll get you two hooked up

Miniature glider ?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Miniature glider ?