Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
What should I expect?
What should I expect?
Question
Oct 27 2018
02:10:41 AM
My name is Andrew, I'm new to the forums but not sugar gliders. I lost mine in an unfortunate incident involving my parents dog. That was years ago and I now have my own place and am ready to start again. I am purchasing 2.2 young adults (1 year olds) from a breeder who is leaving the hobby. She said they were well handled and tempered when they were young but have not been handled lately. She has pictures of her holding all of them. If possible to predict what should I expect temperament wise? Is it likely they will revert to there calm selves with work and patience? I am ok with them not liking to be held, cuddled etc and realise that is a possibility but don't want an animal that will probably bite me everytime I look at it. Currently two of them will nip.
Question
Oct 27 2018
10:11:04 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Andy27012

My name is Andrew, I'm new to the forums but not sugar gliders. I lost mine in an unfortunate incident involving my parents dog. That was years ago and I now have my own place and am ready to start again. I am purchasing 2.2 young adults (1 year olds) from a breeder who is leaving the hobby. She said they were well handled and tempered when they were young but have not been handled lately. She has pictures of her holding all of them. If possible to predict what should I expect temperament wise? Is it likely they will revert to there calm selves with work and patience? I am ok with them not liking to be held, cuddled etc and realise that is a possibility but don't want an animal that will probably bite me everytime I look at it. Currently two of them will nip.

All our gliders have made some progress, we have had up to 15. we are at 11 now.
some start off very friendly when we got them and need no work. others started off scared and crabby and got a lot better. With 11 I don't have time to completely bond with all of them, some are still a little scared and don't like being held.
In the end the worst we have will give little nips if picked up, and try to run away. but all can be handled in some manner and all have showed some progress towards being friendlier and less scared.
If you give them the attention and TIME to adjust and bond, I think you can make them bonded to you in the long run.
What should I expect?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
What should I expect?