Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Why Hasn't My Sugar Glider Bonded With Me Yet?
Question
Nov 12 2018
06:44:43 PM
I have had my sugar glider for 3 months now and she is still scared of me. She will crawl on my hand and eat food off of it when it's in her cage, but she will never come out of her pouch and let me pet her outside of it. She also allows me to pet her when in her cage. I think it is because she feels more comfortable when she's inside of her cage, but I also want her to be comfortable with me so we have a good relationship. Is there anything I can do to make her feel more safe with me?
Question
Nov 13 2018
09:11:43 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I would suggest some of the basics (keep in mind every glider is different
and will bond at different times and ways) get 4 fleece pieces, wait till right before you shower, wipe that fleece with you scent, get it good and strong. put 2 pieces in your gliders sleeping pouch, 3 inch by 3 inch pieces about. After 2 days, scent up the other 2 pieces and make a swap of fleece. always keeping you scent fresh and strong in the sleeping pouch.

Number 2
using bonding pouch or sleeping pouch, sit on couch and put your hand in the pouch DURING THE DAY WHEN GLIDER IS SLEEPING, let your hand sit in pouch not moving with sleeping glider.

another one. get small glider room/tent/closet. during NIGHTTIME when glider
is awake, and room is DARKER bring glider into room, take out of pouch if needed. sit in room with glider. you DONT need to pet glider or get pushy, just sit and talk to your glider and offer them a few treats.

sometimes its hard to figure out what to do, I have 3 gliders I can reach out and pick up NO problems. I have a few that would rather I put hand LOW in front of them and let them walk on my hand. I have one that come as close as possible for a treat then runs away, scarface also runs as soon as my hand gets near her. so I've started a DIFFERENT training for scarface. I no longer try to pet her, I keep my hands away or no motion when she takes a snack. so for the last 2 days she seems to be less likely to run away, this will take time, I hope for good results.

live or dried mealworms are a gliders best taste snack.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Nov 13 2018 09:13:50 PM
Question
Nov 23 2018
10:21:14 AM
PebblesAndBambam Starting Member PebblesAndBambam's Journal 4 Posts
I had the same problem with one of my girls for a long time. Normally they go to bed around the time I’m done getting ready in the morning, so I started giving them a treat every day at that time. Now, the once timid glider is waiting in the same spot every day for her morning treat. She trusts me a lot more and is excited to see me, she has really come out of her shell. I think the routine and letting her get comfortable with me at her own pace helped a lot.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders