GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What now? Cleaning cages, getting another glider, etc wtc
Information
Nov 18 2018
01:52:23 PM
Hi,
I’m going to keep the explanation brief. In short, my two babies, are gone. They were supposed to live with my other, lone sugar glider ( I was trying to introduce them and get one fixed). Well, those two are gone, so naturally my other one ( who is still okay) is going to be moving in and I’m working on cleaning the cage.
I’ve thrown all the bedding and fleece stuff in the wash, and put the plastic things into hot soapy water ( dawn dish soap) my plan is to wipe off the bars really well and then using a steam cleaner on the bars.
( btw, I should mention that the two who have passed on were NOT sick)
I’m wondering how I could wash a water bottle so that my sugar glider could use it? Would I just use hot and soapy water? How could I be sure that all the soap got out? ( drinking soapy water does NOT sound good, blech!)
Me and my mom have agreed to get another glider ( lone gliders being bad and all that jazz) not immediately, of course. We’re planning on having him ( my current suggie) neutered. Is there anything I should know? I really, really want to actually get a glider who will get along with Rocky. I’ve heard that in cases like these, it’s good to get another single glider, sort of? So that.. they’re both desperate enough that they’ll just.. get along and bond? ( forgive me if I sound ignorant) can male and female pairs work ( if both are spayed/ neutered) I’ve heard that if a girl is with a guy the guy sugar glider will try to.. forcefully mate with her?
Anyways, I’m sorry that this is all over the place, any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks and have a wonderful day :)
Information
Nov 18 2018
02:17:29 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

males get neutered, females get nothing or stay natural.
follow the introduction guide on this or another website and there is like
a 99% chance all will go well.

My wife has done about 7 introductions in all sorts of combinations.
2 with 2, 4 with 2, 4 with 1, and 8 with 3. that last one is the only one to have
a part fail, one of the 3 was chased sometimes at night and spent 3 nights hiding before we pulled her out.

So sorry for your lose, we have had 2 gliders die and it really stinks.
Information
Nov 18 2018
03:10:39 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
So sorry for you loss Cameron I read your other post, so devastating !

hot soapy water for the water bottle yes then rinse with cold and wiggle the ball on the tube until it's no longer soapy inside. Make sure to take the black gasket in the cap out and clean it and under it as well, those seals get slimy...

It is easier to introduce single gliders in my opinion, personally I prefer male female for pairs. Even after your male gets neutered he will still have the desire to mate with the female, usually it isn't forced tho, females like it too.
Information
Nov 18 2018
08:37:03 PM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Thank you both so much for your help!
BYK_Chainsaw- Wow, that’s a lot of introductions! And thanks, I didn’t know about the not spaying females thing.
Leela- Thank you for the info on the water bottle, I’ve always wanted to wash mine but I’ve always been really paranoid my pets would get sick if I used soap. ( probably because I read in a book in second grade about birds that said not use soap on anything or else they’ll get sick, and I’ve just subconsciously carried that with me despite the fact I’ve never even owned a bird)
Anyway, I’m going off on a tangeant.
Okay, thank you I think I’m going to start looking for single gliders. I think. And, I didn’t want to bring in a female if I know she’s gonna get hurt from Rocky trying to mate with her.. ( which I heard somewhere has happened before)

One thing I’m concerned about is him moving into a new cage. He has his pouch with his scent on it, and a fleece vine in there with his scent, all the other things were thrown into the wash. I’m worried that he’ll be stressed out, ( on TOP of the effects of being a lone glider and having been one for a while) and I want to make his life as happy, long and healthy as possible. ( Especially now, more then ever, because I’ve failed FOUR poor innocent sugar gliders over the years)
Information
Nov 18 2018
08:46:33 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
a little soap won't hurt them, most of us use dawn original soap for our glider stuff it's what is used to clean wild and domestic animals when they get into stuff they shouldn't. I've used it to give gliders baths before because it's safe if they lick it or if their fur doesn't get rinsed good enough...

Females don't get fixed unless medically necessary because their reproductive organs are complex and it's a very invasive procedure... just in case you wondered why.

He'll be fine in the other cage if anything he may mark the cage more to claim it as his own but don't worry to much they adjust quickly to cage changes
Information
Nov 21 2018
09:04:22 PM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Wow, it has taken me WAY too long to reply to this, sorry about that!
Thank you, now that I think about it spaying such a tiny animal like a sugar glider does sound pretty invasive and stuff.
So.. this thread is titled getting another glider, why not ask questions about that here ( because I don’t want ‘clog up’ the forum any more then I need to lol)
So basically, something came up where we * may* be getting another sugar glider sooner then I initially expected. I think I know about the 30 day quarantine period thing, and blanket swapping, pouch swapping, and handing the new glider treats and the very beginnings of bonding and stuff, but one thing I’m worried about is the fact that the new glider would obviously be completely unbonded at first. And after the first few days of leaving them alone to let them settle in, am I not supposed to let them out to play? Because I’m really worried if I happened to let it out to play, then I won’t be able to get it back into the cage, and she/ he would get really scared/ stressed Becasue I chased it around or something :(
Also: this is probably going to sound.. incredibly dumb, but..let’s say I got a female sugar glider, and she was in another cage, on the other side of my room, and there’s something over the cage or something so they can’t reach each other or something, and then somehow, my one ( male) glider finds her and.. Okay, is it possible for one glider to get a female pregnant through cage bars, if that makes any sense? ( wow, that is.. way worse then I imagined in my head) it’s just that I.. really, really, really don’t want to have to deal with a pregnant sugar glider and babies and.. ack DX don’t get me wrong, if somehow that happened, I’d still take care of them the best I could, but oh man, I.. just the thought stresses me out.
( I should probably mention we are planning on the male neutered VERY soon)
Which brings me to another point: when that happens, I think I’m supposed to take the wheel out of the cage, right? And do I still let him out after or leave him until he’s healed? ( how long would it take him to heal?)
And, ( one last thing, I promise) is there any way to prevent a sugar glider from starting to bite/ nip all the time?
I’m sorry this is all over the place, for some of these it probably would have been smart to make a different post, but.. yeah. Anyways, thanks and have a great day :)
Information
Nov 21 2018
09:24:51 PM
getting pregnant through the cage is possible (depending on the cage type) but unlikely if you are paying attention to them while one or the other is out, or do out of cage time in a different room one at a time..

a lot of people use butterfly nets to catch unbonded gliders or you can use some fleece to cover her and scoop her up. Personally I use bonding bags for the first few weeks, they learn quickly that the bonding bag is a safe place so if need be I just offer them the pouch to go into if they get out.

No you don't have to take the wheel out after he is neutered you don't have to do anything different in the cage. Depends which kind of neuter the vet does, lazer pom off only usually takes a day or two to heal, traditional pom on neuters can take a little longer. Also if the vets instructions say not to feed after midnight the day before the neuter IGNORE that and feed him anyway. Gliders don't fast before neuters that is meant for larger animals.

There really is no way to prevent nipping or biting, some gliders do it some don't. If they do, then stop doing what ever you did that caused them to bite and figure out a different way to do it. Some people say not to flinch if they bite just take it......... thats nonsense I flinch every time it's our instinct to flinch when something bites and it's stupid to just take a bite have you seen their teeth?

Edited by - Leela on Nov 21 2018 09:26:53 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders