Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Chocolate consumption
Chocolate consumption
Health related
Nov 21 2018
10:38:33 PM
My glider, Pebbles found a milk chocolate Hershey’s kiss and ate a little bit of it before I noticed. What do I do?
Health related
Nov 22 2018
06:07:58 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I'm not a vet, just answering based on my experience with gliders.

Give him yogurt and keep him hydrated by offering water or 50/50 water Gatorade mixture every hour or couple hours-watch him closely. From what I've read the chocolate will give him diarrhea. Take to a vet ASAP if he's lethargic and has diarrhea or vomiting.

I'll be sending you positive thoughts and hoping your glider didn't ingest too much.
Health related
Nov 22 2018
09:50:37 AM
PebblesAndBambam Starting Member PebblesAndBambam's Journal 4 Posts
Great, I’ll do that! thank you! She seems to be just fine but I’ll be keeping a close eye on her.
Health related
Nov 22 2018
12:51:00 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Depends on which quantity has been eaten...
Chocolate is toxic because it contains theobromine, which is toxic at a rate of 2mg for an average glider, heart and vasculary issues appears at 4ng and neurologic issues at 6mg, the deadly dose being around 20mg...

Now, milk chocolate contains less theobromine than dark chocolate, and the highest rate you find in milk chocolate (50mg per ounce) means that it would need for your glider to eat 1/4th of the Hershey's kiss (which are 0.17 ounce each) to see any effect, which is more than a few glider's bite, so you should be safe for this time
Health related
Nov 27 2018
09:45:10 PM
PebblesAndBambam Starting Member PebblesAndBambam's Journal 4 Posts
Pebbles is perfectly fine now! Thank you for the advise everyone:)
Chocolate consumption

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Chocolate consumption