Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Possible seizure?
Possible seizure?
Health related
Nov 22 2018
09:05:24 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate!

I’m quite worried. I have a girl, Marcie, who possibly seized last night, and I’m wondering if anyone here has suggestions. I have 2 girls. Marcie has always been the extrovert, always wanting to come out and see everyone. Last night I had her out, she was on my arm, and suddenly she violently shook her head back and forth for a few seconds, then went completely limp on me, before regaining strength and laying there for a few minutes. This is the 2nd time I’ve witnessed this, worse the 2nd time. She also lost bladder control during it.

As I read, it SOUNDS LIKE it could’ve been a seizure. I don’t believe it could be due to hypoglycemia, as she helped herself to a few yogurt treats 20 mins before this occurred.

She is on TPG diet.

I will be calling my local exotics vet on Friday to discuss, but I truly believe I’ve had more help in the past from experienced glider owners, than I have from vets.

If you have ANY thoughts at all, I would be forever grateful.
Health related
Nov 22 2018
11:15:03 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
my experience with seizures are pre death seizures which are different than you described. These seizures the whole body vibrates and seizes and usualllly they open their mouths wide their head doesn't violently shake back n forth nor do they release any urine or poop.

Its hard to describe unless you feeeel it yourself the only time I've seen a glider violently shake their head back n forth is when I've given them medicine that tastes bad.

Now that is NOT to say it wasn't a seizure, there are different kinds of seizures and different symptoms and triggers.

The going limp and laying there for a few minutes i've seen once, then he got up and moved around again for a few minutes before seizing again and passing. I was on a video call with a friend of mine when he did it we were both stunned, we both have seen to many gliders seizing right before passing and neither of us saw one do that before after seizing, usually once back to back seizing starts they just don't get up like that.

There are some gliders that have environmental seizures from over stimulation but I don't have any personal experience with that, not sure if any of this helps....

Edited by - Leela on Nov 22 2018 11:17:34 AM
Possible seizure?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Possible seizure?