Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Frustrated! What to do?
Frustrated! What to do?
Question
Dec 02 2018
02:19:51 PM
We've had a female for just over a year and a month or so ago we got a 8 month old male who is neutered. We let them meet and interact and had them in close but separate cages at first. The 2 gliders appear to get along. The male is very aggressive towards me when I put food or place toys in the cage.He'll attack my hands. My female comes to the cage sniffs me and takes treats no problems, the male crabs and bites every time. I have tough callused mechanic hands and hes breaking skin when he bites. I tried the psst noise that does nothing. 10 minutes ago I was hanging the barrel of monkeys in the cage the male came out of the pouch crabbing and trying to escape. I tried feeding a small piece of apple and hes super aggressive to the point im ready to see if the breeder will take him back. What can I try next? Im extremely frustrated with the aggressive behavior and tired of being bitten/attacked.
Question
Dec 02 2018
08:50:58 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
This is a hard one, not seeing how he reacts to different things. If I try
something and it didn't work I would try something different maybe, all depending
on how he reacts. You also don't state how long you have had him.

We started with pinkie by just letting him be, getting used to new place, he
was an angry lunging crabber that appeared to want to rip off our finger and
eat it whole.
After awhile we tempted him with dried mealworms on a SPOON, NOT our fingers
for fear of losing one. As time passed and he got the idea we are not the all
out enemy we could switch to carefully feeding him with mealworms in fingers,
but some gliders take time to learn they can carefully take the treat and do not
need to do the quick grab.
I don't like getting bit, so I do what is needed to NOT get bit.

I would try to pick him up with a fleece towel, give him a pet to try to show
him he's not in that much danger, then put him back in cage.

Once I was sure another glider would stay in sleeping pouch, I would take it out
of cage and sit with him and talk to him as he crabbed back at me. connor would crab less and less at me after awhile. But if your glider is going to run, this may not be the best way.

You could try a daytime bonding pouch, see if he will settle down and sleep with you in pouch.

You could try nighttime in a small room, bathroom or closet, give him something to explore (kids toys are good) see if he will hang out without attacking you, but this one sounds risky.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Dec 02 2018 09:06:36 PM
Question
Dec 03 2018
08:15:15 PM
Raidernation81 Joey Visit Raidernation81's Photo Album 18 Posts
Had him a month. I do have a cage in the basement that i had made and im able to sit inside with both gliders and there toys. Only problem is they dont like to come out of there pouch. If i remove them they spend the whole time trying to find the pouch or a place to curl up.
Question
Dec 04 2018
05:40:52 AM
Paani Glider Visit Paani's Photo Album Paani's Journal 91 Posts
Don’t rush things. He’s still in a new place and trying to learn to trust you,
Question
Dec 05 2018
04:49:43 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Raidernation81

Had him a month. I do have a cage in the basement that i had made and im able to sit inside with both gliders and there toys. Only problem is they dont like to come out of there pouch. If i remove them they spend the whole time trying to find the pouch or a place to curl up.

A month is a very short time.

In cage basement. turn light very low, make the room DARKER, use nightlight if
needed.
If they dont come out of pouch, push them out. let them do whatever, maybe give them something to check out investigate. we use baby toy buildings, got a few at
goodwill. I also recommend dried or specially LIVE mealworms, glider favorite.
After awhile just try to talk to them, or give them a mealworm, keep it slow
movements and keep your hand low to the ground. put treat 1 foot away, see if you can wait and let them come to you, if not slowly move mealy to them, maybe using
spoon or something. dont let him bit ya, if possible.
spend 1 hour maybe more, read a book if needed, play on cellphone, then give them opening of pouch and take back to regular cage, try again another night. keep doing it.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Dec 05 2018 04:51:11 PM
Question
Dec 13 2018
09:11:41 AM
Raidernation81 Joey Visit Raidernation81's Photo Album 18 Posts
Is it cage aggression? I currently have both of them in there smaller travel cage so I can clean there cage out. The male has not been aggressive at all I put my finger up against the screen he smelled it and didnt crab at all. If i do that while hes in his cage he crabs and tries to bite/swat his hand at my finger.
Question
Dec 15 2018
09:28:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Raidernation81

Is it cage aggression? I currently have both of them in there smaller travel cage so I can clean there cage out. The male has not been aggressive at all I put my finger up against the screen he smelled it and didnt crab at all. If i do that while hes in his cage he crabs and tries to bite/swat his hand at my finger.

I would call it more like cage defensive. Could be, you are a strange
intruder into his home, and he doesn't accept you yet.

how I would relate, our gizmo is friendly, but if he is in my wife's shirt
and I put my hand in there, he has given me a small bite, and if our 14 year old
tries to pet him then he gets all bity and grabby at his finger.

I dislike the word "aggression", it's just their natural defense, to not get
eaten by bigger pray. Or to groom you hard sometimes, or to smell you toe and think it could be taste so they take a small bite. since I haven't had a glider
come after me, towards me to attack me or be aggressive, it's seems to be all
defensive with gliders.
Frustrated! What to do?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Frustrated! What to do?