Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
How do i look into becoming a glider rescue?
Question
Dec 08 2018
09:58:20 PM
Hi everyone! I have adopted 5 rescue gliders over the last 3ish years. I have a great colony going on but I keep coming across gliders that desperately need help. In my area (Colorados front range) there are several unscrupulous and money focused breeders who sell to anyone without making sure they are ready or even capable of taking care of them. There's even a breeder who sells them at the local fair (I know!). When I saw them (probably around 30 or more) I was horrified! A large chicken wire cage in the sun in the middle of the day with nothing but water and pellets being peddled to every child that came up. Snatched from the corners and the wall and shoved into hand after hand. It was horrible. My newest pair was a rescue from a guy who bought them from a breeder at a discount because they were "breeded out". It takes time to bond with them so I've only taken 5 at this point. They need to be happy and healthy before I take in the next one. I would love to find a way to start a glider rescue. I have come across lots of owners who are looking for a place to give their gliders. Most bought them on a whim and didn't realize that they actually take work. I hear "I thought they would be like Guinea pigs" way way too often. Does anyone know how to start? Or who I could contact to find out what it would take to get going? I don't have any money to bankroll something big but I just cant stomach it knowing how many gliders need help. Adopting healthy happy pairs out to those whom want to be good glider parents would be amazing. When my alfa pair are out with me I hear that enough people are doing research on how to care for them properly but are hesitant about going to a breeder rather than finding a rescue. Right now the best I can do is send them to craigslist. I want to do more! Help me please!

Meredith
Mama to: Gizmo 6, Gidget 7, Tex 2, Titania 3?, and Oberon 3?
Question
Dec 09 2018
09:00:26 PM
Paani Glider Visit Paani's Photo Album Paani's Journal 91 Posts
Meredith,

I'm also on the Front Range (down in C Springs). Started with 2 gliders 9 years ago, went up to 4 for a brief period then down to 1 and now back to 2. I have a huge cage that could house more gliders but I draw the line at paying someone to rescue their glider.

I could see paying for toys, pouches, maybe even quality spare cages but it seems most of the ads I see wanting "rehoming fees" are just trying to recoup the money they shouldn't have spent in the first place rather than trying to find a good home for the glider(s).

Let me know if you run into any others who are more interested in their gliders' welfare. In the meantime, I think there are 2 different steps to becoming a rescue. One (not necessarily the first) would be to make sure you set up in accordance with whatever the animal welfare laws are in your city and county (e.g., in C Springs, I couldn't take in more than 10 quail without violating city regulations).

The other (and probably more difficult) is to gain acceptance with the online glider community. They'll want to see a track record of knowledge of glider care before calling you a rescue and recommending you as a destination for others gliders.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat