Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Bonding males
Bonding males
Question
Dec 10 2018
09:42:33 PM
I'm a new glider mom... I've had Gizmo for almost 2 months(2yr old)...n just got Stripe (4mo old) to be his companion... after a few nights in seperated cages I moved the cages closer n stripe got so scared he popped right thru the bars... since then I put him in a stronger barred cage n have tried putting them in tent time with me but gizmo chased baby stripe into his pouch n we stopped cuz I don't want the baby to get hurt...I have also pouched them in seperated pouches n put the pouches next to each other n all they did is crab at each other... and open in tent time with the other in his pouch...n all they do is crab at each other... am I on the right track? Or will they never get along til I get one fixed(both males)?
Question
Dec 10 2018
10:06:03 PM
Raych918 Starting Member Visit Raych918's Photo Album 3 Posts
I have also bonded very well with each one seperately and swap their sleepy pouches every few days...
Question
Dec 11 2018
01:40:39 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I think you are doing it wrong! (not trying to be mean.)

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?Introductions

IMO....You are going to fast. Gizmo seems to be protecting his territory.

1. cages away from each cage. ONLY swap sleeping pouches.
I like 2 sleeping pouches in each cage, after each glider smells up his pouch,
maybe 4 days, switch the pouch they have been sleeping in. After 2-3 days switch
the pouch they are sleeping in again, repeat every 2-3 days. I look to see
which pouch they are sleeping in, If they don't except the foreign scented pouch
after a 2 weeks, not sleeping in it, they remove the 2nd pouch and force them to
sleep in the one pouch.
do this a minimum of 3 weeks, you want them to get used to the new scent("glider) and except it as part of their world.

2. put cages 8 inches apart, let them be together that way for a few weeks or more. going longer time is better then shorter time IF needed.

3. for us, they usually have a smell moment, maybe a short quick spat, usually
when one gets on the other to tell them they are in charge. if they BALL UP and fight we move them apart or stop the introduction (PS. introduction in UNscented
place, we use bathtub) After 5 or 10 minutes in tub with NO fight we give them an
UNscented pouch to get into. they go into it (this is most scary for me, as if they start a fight in pouch, harder to separate) and they start hanging out in pouch
together... don't think we have had a fight in the pouch, if they are willing to
go in pouch together they are in a good place.

we only have neutered males. so don't know if unaltered males would be harder or not.

good luck

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Dec 11 2018 01:46:00 AM
Question
Mar 15 2019
04:53:02 PM
Raych918 Starting Member Visit Raych918's Photo Album 3 Posts
I just wanted to update... about a month n a half ago I had put the baby in the top half of a divided 4 1/2-foot cage where they could sniff and slightly touch each other without anybody getting hurt(after weeks if cages next to each other)... after a couple weeks of this I thought my baby had escaped, but he had actually gotten through to the bottom portion of the cage and I found them both happily asleep in one pouch,they have been bonded and loving ever since!

Edited by - Raych918 on Mar 15 2019 05:11:48 PM
Bonding males

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Bonding males