Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
i have 2 sugar gliders one very outgoing and the other very skittis
Question
Jan 20 2019
12:02:35 AM
I have 2 sugar gliders that I got about a week before Christmas one very outgoing and the other very skittish the first one comes out and climbs all over me without an issue the other stays in his cage for the most part and is scared of everything! Tonight the skittish one decided to come out on his own and climb on me (very excited by this huge stepping stone) while the other was on me but then the outgoing one started to hiss at him why? The outgoing one Chip has been this way from day one! The breeder said they are between 6months and 1 year she had an over abundance of males that nobody wanted. The other skittish one is my Dale (I know they are not chip monks but hey I thought the names were cute) he likes to crab when I speak for the first time in the evenings but stops when I ask him what his issue is in a calm voice. It has taken me until today to get him to come out on his own. He did great but Chip also wanted to be on me so he slipped out of the cage and jumped on me at the same time. Once he noticed Dale was on me is when the hissing started. It was short bursts of hissing but hissing none the least. Do you think it was a possessive kind of thing since we have been really bonding quiet well and Dale hasn't really tried. I also have a personal tent on the way hopefully help the bonding process on the way. When they do anything that I want them to do like come out or go back in the cage or pouch they get a treat. Dale I have been more patient with and just use the treats to lure him closer and closer to the door. Dale is also my glider he will glide around when he gets loose from his pouch. Chip stays with me for the most part doesnt normally go far and if he tried to run down my leg to the floor before I want him to he stops when I put my hand in his way. Chip also doesnt really glide unless it's back to his cage. Thoughts are much appreciated. I also do not treat them if they bite me just to bite. Chip grooms me and gets a bit rough with my hair but stops when I put my hand near and tell him no.
Question
Jan 20 2019
07:22:14 AM
Frenchymomma Starting Member Visit Frenchymomma's Photo Album 3 Posts
Question
Jan 24 2019
11:05:31 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

we increased our colony by getting gliders usually in groups of two. And it
definitely seemed like one was always much more outgoing and curious. while the
other was reserved and would stay in cage and watch from the back, run from your
hand etc.

hissing can be a sign of a UTI, we got a single that would hiss when he peed,
but a visit to the vet and the vet said he appeared to be very healthy, the hissing
could be a habit he picked up from a past UTI or just something he did. we have
had him a few years, and I don't hear him hiss anymore.
So my thought was when your second glider got on you, it was time for the
dominant glider to mark you as theirs and gave a hiss as he peed.
Our dominant male used to mark me alot as soon as he got out of cage and on my
arm, even if he had been awake and running around cage for awhile, he seemed to
always save me a few drops, put he seems to do that a lot less.

sounds like your bonding is going great.
Question
Feb 07 2019
12:01:15 PM
Frenchymomma Starting Member Visit Frenchymomma's Photo Album 3 Posts
Thank you for your input! Dale is finally starting to come out of the cage I havent heard much hissing. They just finally got comfortable enough to start barking or talking it seems to me. It has become a regular morning thing when I get up to go to work Chip wants to come out and bark on my shoulder while playing with my hair! He gets a bit aggressive while playing with my hair but a quick no or putting my hand near him he stops. I'm thinking of taking them and having them neutered since they still have all their parts.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders