GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I need help!
I need help!
Memorial, Passing, Remembrance
Feb 01 2019
11:33:43 AM
Good morning!
I'm having issues decifering my girls behavior. I have 2 older gliders, sugar and spice born September 14th. And now 2 babies born November 28th, snow and storm.
Spice confuses me, she will go into their pouch and love on them and let them love on her and then the next day ball up and fight with them! The lil ones are very sweet and they do try to ride her back which sometimes she's ok with and other times not? She also does not seem to like when I'm holding snow and she will go after and chase her... sugar just wants to go and do her own thing which I'm also not sure if that's a positive sign or not. I would love for them all to be happy and SAFE in one cage and I have been swapping fleece blankets and food bowls and their cages are by each other but with a gap. I also usually hold the lil girls for a few hours and put them up and then hold the big girls so that babies scent is on me and I'm petting them. Yesterday I brought both pouches out at the same time and spice just climbed right in and loved on them and them her, sugar went off to explore and ended up sleeping in a blanket by us but not in a pouch. But then this morning spice went into the girls cage and fought with storm and poor storm just went into her pouch for the rest of the morning and then she balled up and fussed with snow who was on my shoulder and they fell! And then she chased her... spice is definitely sending mixed signals #9785;
I just dont know what else to do and the guy I got them from told me to just put them all together in the cage and "they'll work it out and be fine" and I just dont feel that to be true? Snow and storm combined is the size of spice (my smaller older glider). I just dont want ANY of them getting hurt...
Feb 01 2019
12:12:54 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I would not put them in the same cage yet, the lil ones are too small to defend themselves, but I would keep on introducing them in neutral ground that way until they're fine together.
Spice is sending mixed signals, I guess it's because the joeys act as such, trying to ride her like they would with their mom, and I think spice might perceive this as a threat or a domination attempt.
Feb 01 2019
01:43:50 PM
Sambogakaya Starting Member Visit Sambogakaya's Photo Album 4 Posts
Ok thank you! I was thinking the same thing, I definitely dont feel comfortable with them in the same cage while spice is being bipolar but I wasnt sure if that was normal behavior.
I was also thinking spice was being territorial over me, because she would just go after snow while snow was on me and not doing anything towards her.
Feb 04 2019
11:41:59 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I agree, if they are fighting during introductions at any time, continue pouch
swapping, I did swaps every 3 days about, trying to keep the scents fresh.

this is not a race. Also you should try neutral unscented introductions,
like a bathtub. Then clean a cage, if all goes well put them in the clean cage.
I think for 4 the cage should be large, and once all 4 are happy in tub, spend next few night near the cage and monitor their behavior.

It could be the older one starts to feel they are on her territory and its time
to defend the territory. hard to be sure.
Feb 07 2019
10:53:04 AM
Sambogakaya Starting Member Visit Sambogakaya's Photo Album 4 Posts
Thank you so much for the advice and for taking the time to respond. I realize I accidentally put this post in the wrong area and couldnt figure out how to move it...

I'm also planning on just waiting a couple months to let the little girls catch up in size. So I'll be doing pouch, and toy swapping up until about April. I'm in no hurry and I'd rather them all be safe and comfortable with each other and me before putting them together.

The girls once all getting along will be in a 4ft high 6ft long and 2ft wide cage. And I'll later upgrade it to 6ft high 6ft long and 2 ft deep. So they will definitely have lots of space!
I need help!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
I need help!