Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider thinks my fingers are food all of a sudden?
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 20 2019
10:15:40 AM
So, I have two sugar gliders; brothers, named Cable and Cabot. They’re 8 years old.
Recently in the past month or so, Cable has decided that my fingers are food. When he sees my fingers, he gets that look in his eyes that they get when they see a mealworm. If I bring my fingers near the cage, he hyperfocuses on them and tries to grab them through the bars, and if close enough, he WILL bite them. Hard.
When he’s out and I’m playing with him, if he comes across my fingers, he will bite them. He’s not agitated or anything, he just thinks they’re food.

Absolutely nothing has changed in the way I feed or handle them in my 8 years of owning them. I try to wash my hands before playing with them. Cabot doesn’t do this, and Cable only does it to me. He’s bit my husband’s fingers a few times but he ALWAYS does it to me. He’s fine when he doesn’t see my fingers, but as soon as they’re in view, he gets the food eyes and pounces.

I don’t understand why he suddenly developed this behavior? Like it just came out of nowhere. He never used to bite in his life. Only thing I can think of is maybe one time my fingers smelled like food or something, but again I’ve had him for 8 years and this has never happened even when I didn’t wash my hands before handling, so I don’t understand why it would be different now.

Anyone have any ideas? And any ideas on how to get him to stop? I’ve tried blowing on him when he does it but nothing dissuades him. Maybe there’s something I can put on my fingers that tastes bad so he stops associating them as food or something? I’m at a loss and it’s really frustrating because I can’t play with him without getting bit.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by - Taylergrey on Feb 20 2019 10:16:33 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 25 2019
12:41:36 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

you have a hard one. sounds like you have your bases covered
washing your hands and all the rest of the stuff you are trying.

One thing that comes to mind, something I would try a few times.
the way I heard you train a parrot not to bite or bond with you.
hold your glider in a fleece blankie and then pet him on the head,
holding him in a way that he can't bite you. try to get him used
to you petting him, and petting him around his head, without him
biting you.
If you feed him treats by hand, maybe switch to having a tray in
your hand.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders