Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Diarrhea
Diarrhea
Health related
Feb 27 2019
06:12:20 AM
I have had my gliders for a few days now and I have noticed their stool to be watery. Naturally I did some research and everything I have seen suggests this is a sign of diarrhea. When I first brought them home I started them on exotic nutrition glider complete pellet blend and they didn’t seem to like this too much. They kept picking the fruit out of it and left the pellets. I also got them some meal worms, which they also did not seem too keen on. So I got them some fresh fruits and veggies. Now my little ones tail is all wet and I’m worried that she’s getting sick. She is also hissing at times, though I have not necessarily noticed it during urination which is an indication of a UTI. Any advice would help tremendously.
Health related
Feb 27 2019
12:35:03 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
anytime you get new gliders a vet visit is a good idea. A wellness visit
here can cost $40 to $100 depending on the vet. Our $40 vet seems to have
more experience and knowledge.

Some gliders are slow to pick up mealworms, specially dried ones. If you have
live ones they should just eat them up good. One thing to try if you can
stomach it is to break one in half then try to serve it on a small dish.
I use the lid to the mealworm container. We have had up to 15 gliders, and every
one LOVEs live mealworms once they get a taste of them.

diarrhea is bad, could be the change in food.

pellets are bad, I do provide cereal (similar to pellets but different.)
but ONLY as a side dish treat, I use HAPPY GLIDER cereal. you can get them at
critterlove.com or pet-pro.com. You should drop the exotic nutrition and pick

BML or OHPW/Critterlove or TPG. their are a few other available also but I have
little information about them. I don't like the blender process of TPG, but it is
considered a healthy diet also.
Health related
Feb 27 2019
03:55:45 PM
Jdcorfman Starting Member 2 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I will drop the pellets and see what critter love has to offer.
Health related
Feb 27 2019
08:53:58 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Jdcorfman

Thank you for the reply. I will drop the pellets and see what critter love has to offer.

If you are going with critterlove. the instant is easy and fast, plus you need to print the veggie/fruit salads and serve that with the critterlove. So your
chose is instant, glider will eat it. or the regular, you need honey, bee pollen
and eggs. its really not that hard to make, I can make 8 liters in about 2 hours
and that is enough to feed 11 gliders for a few months. so 2 batchs of critterlove
is 2 liter and its 1 or 2 Tablespoons for 2 gliders, that will last awhile, and my
gliders like the regular MUCH better. the instant doesn't dissolve all the way and
ends up watery and grainy. like fine sand in water, BUT it is healthy and the
gliders will eat it.
Health related
Feb 28 2019
06:43:06 AM
WhiteFlapBlackEyes Joey 12 Posts
Drop the pellets, feed fresh fruit mostly and use HPW. I freeze HPW in little ice cubes when I mix up everything. Pellets are not good for glider as they are not fully domesticated to the point like dogs, who can eat pellet/kibble food. You can also give them a little bit of boiled chicken, but not often.

As for the diarrhea, see a vet, regardless of diarrhea I would recommend a vet because you just got your glider, and like a puppy, you want to make sure it’s okay when you first get it.
Health related
Feb 28 2019
06:02:21 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
how old are the gliders?

what fruit and veg are you giving them? acidic foods can cause diarrhea

Diarrhea is a symptom (whether its from food or illness) so you need to figure out the cause to fix the issue. Listing everything you give them including snacks can help us help you. If it's not food then a vet visit is in order.

As for suggested diets...

Tpg does NOT require a blender or food processor UNLESS you WANT to use one to chop your fruits and veg for you. Tpg is stirred together in a big bowl not blended or processed. Having said that it is still not a diet I recommend for a few different reasons, the main one being it's inconsistent.

Bml however does require a blender but is the first diet I recommend because it's affordable, consistent, easy to make and feed, especially for new owners
http://bmldiet.com/bml-recipe.html

Critter Love is the second diet I recommend it's a good consistent diet and affordable for a couple of gliders.... but making the salads is a pain in the arse! I was stoked when my guys quit eating critter love a months worth of salads for 11 gliders was no joke !! I used the instant and it does separate I think that's why mine wouldn't eat it long term but the salad process was reason enough to not try the origional hpw.

What ever diet you decide on make sure to use the diet creators website and recipe, there are a lot of knock off recipes out there that are not balanced.

The best way to decide what diet to use is

1 local ingredients vs buying online
bml you can get everything locally, tpg and critter love is only available online

2 what you can consistently afford. Consider the fruits and veg as well as the liquid diet ingredients....

3 time that your life style permits for prepping. Bml 15 minutes tops, tpg and critter love way lots of prep and freezer space.

Diarrhea

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Diarrhea