GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fear of home dynamic changing
Question
Mar 07 2019
04:07:09 PM
Hello!

I got my first girl last Christmas (Eevee) on 12/26/17 and got her a cage mate from the same breeder (Penelope) 2/1/18. My mom passed away shortly after getting Eevee, and since then are my family. They are the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning, and I pet them. They are the first thing I rush to see when I come home. They are always with me (unless I am working or doing chores) and we are completely bonded to each other. We have gone on walks together, play together, and more importantly just cuddle together for hours at a time.

When I got Penelope, my best friend also got a girl, Luna. She had a great home for the first 6 weeks. She came from the same breeders as my girls, and they all got along. My girls preferred being with me over being with Luna (to my delight) but they always treated Luna like family. A few months after Luna, they got another girl Tsuki. Tsuki was not from a breeder, but rather a pet store. I can tell her life was hard. She was obese, angry, scared, and she lived with 4 other gliders in a bird cage barely fit for a bird. Tsuki and Luna got along famously, but Tsuki was hesitant with my best friend and his family. In so much they became afraid of her and even started calling her names.

Recently I found out they rarely get human interaction now, and are sort of forgotten except during feeding time or weekly cage cleaning time. This to me is horrible, as I literally cant wait to be with my girls. I offered them to take their gliders so that the gliders could have a good life. I truly feel Tsuki will eventually warm up to humans, it will just take a lot longer. They originally declined my offer, but asked me to take them last week. So now they are set up (in their own original critter mate cage) next to mine. That way they can get to know each other without fighting or fear or resource guarding.

That all being said, I really do not want my dynamic to change. My girls are not my pets, they are my girls. I look forward to seeing them every day, and I look forward to all my time with them. I am concerned once the new gliders get nestled in, our dynamic will change and it will not be me and my 2 girls ever again. I am all for playing and loving all the gliders, but I fear my "role" with them will change drastically. It is easy to bring my girls everywhere because the live under my shirt (they prefer my shirt/skin to their pouch) and they do not want to leave me. With 2 new girls to the fold, that will likely be impossible.

Any advice or opinions?
Question
Mar 07 2019
10:08:21 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
We have a colony of 6. My wife still pulls out Gizmo, lets him pee, then sticks him in her shirt and goes to livingroom. He will curl up and sleep with her or
groom her.
We got 2 more gliders, returns from a few years ago, so our colony will go to
8 if all goes well.
I will go in to feed them and I 100% believe gus will still run all over me.
Gizmo with eat near me and spend some time with me, sophie will still let me pick
her up, spend time with me then run off to be her adventurous self. and of course
scarface will come out for a treat and run away and hide to eat it.

so I expect NOTHING to change, except for the new ones to join in. jasmine is
quick out of the cage, and pig pen will run on the wheel and hopefully come see me
some.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders