GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Noise [Link with sound]
Behavior
Mar 21 2019
08:09:36 AM

clyp.it/uypywzgs

My sugar glider recently started making this sound. I have had her for 2 years and don't think that I've heard this specific sound. Is it normal?
Behavior
Mar 21 2019
11:40:11 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Have you checked her for wounds? Is she making this sound while in the pouch? Is she alone?
That sounds could be self mutilation, which would indicate some level of pain, in any case, a vet visit is advisable.
Behavior
Mar 21 2019
11:44:21 AM
kpatton2 Starting Member 3 Posts
I haven’t done a complete thorough check for wounds but she has seemed fine moving around the cage and eating. I took her pouch out this morning when I heard the noise and checked on them and they both actively/attentively looked up and me and stretched to poke their heads out. I will thoroughly check tonight.

She was in the pouch when making the noise and is with her glider buddy (one other glider). I will say that they haven’t been as active as usual but I think that it’s because I haven’t gotten them out of the cage and bonded with them for a while and also, it has been colder than normal (I live in Chicago).
Behavior
Mar 21 2019
01:31:01 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
that's not a self mutilating sound. Is her glider buddy an intact male?
Behavior
Mar 21 2019
06:36:40 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
My guess is she is in heat. again based on the recording that is my guess.
Behavior
Mar 21 2019
07:01:32 PM
glidersglide Starting Member 7 Posts
My female glider makes that noise usually after she’s climbed out of a ouch or pocket or when she’s just in a ouch or pocket. I think it’s from the dust so I’d see if her cage is dusty
Behavior
Mar 21 2019
09:49:46 PM
kpatton2 Starting Member 3 Posts
No, the other glider is a girl as well but I have seen the other glider hump her before so actually, maybe it is because she's in heat!!! Thank you guys so much for the fast responses. I did check for wounds and didn't find anything. And I should also dust her cage because it needs done (never thought that that would be another cause). Thanks so much everyone!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders