Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing a young female to a 7 month old male sugar glider
Question
Apr 20 2019
10:24:31 PM
I have a male sugar glider that's 7 months old. I bought him from someone in early March and he's been by himself since January. I know they need playmates so I wanted to get him a friend. I'm being told by multiple pet stores and people that I can't have 2 males because they'll fight, so I decided on a female.

My concern is that shes a baby and he is not. He is a male and she is a female. Will it be dangerous to put them together ? I don't want him to hurt her or rape her when shes so young. I'm very puzzled and don't know what to do.

Also, I've already bought her officially so I can't just get another sugie.

Thanks!
Question
Apr 22 2019
12:11:50 PM
SillySuggies Joey Visit SillySuggies's Photo Album 43 Posts
hm, you might need to keep them seperated for a while so you can do a proper introduction. look into intros and different methods of doing it.
Question
Apr 22 2019
02:36:08 PM
Blissful Starting Member 3 Posts
I am going to introduce them slowly, I'm just scared that he will rape her once they meet. He's going through his "puberty" right now and shes just a little baby Joey.

I don't wanna wait too long either because shes a baby and I don't want her to get lonely and then depressed.
Question
Apr 22 2019
05:00:35 PM
MelonLeaf321 Joey Visit MelonLeaf321's Photo Album 15 Posts
So what I would recommend is to take him to a vet and get him neutured. He will be the exact same as he was before he just will not be able to try to mate with her if he tried and would make it so he wouldn't want to do that.

I'm not sure if he would try to mate with her (I've never had to do intros) but I would stay cautious.

Also yes it is recommended to do a 30 day quarantine with at least one vet check for the new baby girl. This is just to make sure she isn't sick and has no parasites she could give to him.

Besides all of this I hope they get along well and you enjoy your new little suggie girl.
Question
Apr 22 2019
05:46:15 PM
Blissful Starting Member 3 Posts
The male came from the same breeder except his parents were different sugar gliders. I'm getting a white face female and the male is a dark cinnamon color.

I actually named them Cinnamon and Sugar.

I want Sugar to have one litter of joeys and then I wanted to keep them. I was planning on neutering cinnamon after and if she has any male joeys, I was going to get them neutered as well. That way there will be a little family of either 3 or 4 suggies. I just don't want her to get pregnant at her age. I would rather her be safe than risk it for 2 babies.

But I don't want to keep them seperated for so long. I also don't want him to rape her or potentially harm her, because she is just a little baby still.

Should I just seperate them when they try to mate? And after a few days put them together again? I know they have a heat cycle once a month. Or do they always try to mate no matter if they're in rut/heat?

If it leads to it I'll get cinnamon neutered and just purchase some more gliders to add. I wanted them to be a family though, but if it's not worth it then I'll get him neutered.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders