Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Leucistic or not?
Leucistic or not?
Question
Apr 23 2019
01:36:46 PM
I recently bought a "Leucistic" sugar glider with a platinum male, leucistic het, with the intentions of breeding. I've owned sugar gliders for years now and have bred for a while, and decided I wanted a pair that would make some Leucistics.

When I got them(2 months ago) they were very yellow from staining, and since being on the BML diet, have gotten much better, but i'm still working to get rid of that color.

But, the thing is, the Leucistic has grey ears, is this normal? I thought the ears were supposed to be almost transparent? Now i'm doubting if the platinum even has a leucistic het, can anyone help? I got them from craiglist, and the people seemed nice enough.

They said the parents to both,(different parents, they aren't related... is what they told me, but now i'm having serious doubts) were mosaics and leucistics? I'm hoping it's different parents, I don't think a mosaic with leucistic het with another leucistic could make a platinum.. same with a mosaic platinum het and leucistic, i'm pretty sure they can't make leucistic babies since Leucistic is dominant over Platinum.. maybe even the Leucistic is the same parent?

If anyone can help that will be greatly appreciated, I want to know if the Leucistic is actually Leucistic or a white mosaic..
Question
Apr 23 2019
02:36:22 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
if the ears are grey it's not a leu. Most likely its a min mo ( minimally marked mosaic )

you can also look for any other non white marks and non white whiskers, those are markers for mo's. One dark whisker is enough to make a glider a min mo instead of a leu. Which makes it difficult for some to see the difference at first.

the leu het would have to prove out. Which can only happen if the male breeds and the pair produce a leu then his leu het would be proven. Until it's proven you only have the percentage of leu het from his lines that may or may not prove out depending how he's paired.

Het is a physical trait in a line that is not showing physically on the glider itself but the glider can potentially produce it depending on the pairing and the mates genes/hets. I hope I Said that correctly genes and hets aren't my strongest suite.

Really the only way to know for sure what his hets are without breeding them is to look at their lineage/lines. Which you'd want to do before breeding them anyway.

Not sure if this will help any but I had a white face blonde male with leu het paired with a leu and they produced 2 silver belle plats and a standard gray. So he proved out plat.

My friend bred his brother who was a mo and proved out mo's they were born at the same time/ had the same parents. Though I can't think what the parents were I think it was a mo with leu het and a leu

IF I made any mistakes in my explanations feel free to correct me as I said explaining the gene het side of things are not my strongest area.

Edited by - Leela on Apr 23 2019 02:55:20 PM
Question
Apr 24 2019
12:33:07 AM
Adeebdee6964 Joey 19 Posts
Thank you so much for the help! I think the female was already carrying new joeys in her pouch when I got her, so I really hope they aren't related, I'll get them lineaged asap, and I do hope I wasn't lied too.

Again, thanks for the help! :)
Leucistic or not?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Leucistic or not?