Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Two males just had a fight
Question
May 25 2019
09:54:19 PM
Hi there, I’ve had my bonded pair of gliders Luigi a neutered male and Daisy a female for about a year now, I rescued another pair of gliders Dixie a female and Badger a neutered male I gave them plenty of time in cages in the same room to get familiar with each other’s scents, switched out bags and did all the stuff to get them familiar with each other. Tonight I introduced them in a neutral setting and the girls got along fine and the girls with the opposite males got along fine but Luigi kept chasing and grabbing Badger and at one point even looked like he was biting him I got them separated and badger didn’t have any terrible injuries his fur was just a bit messed up and after Dixie groomed him he looked normal again but I’m just wondering will this always keep happening? Do I need to let them fight it out? Will Luigi kill badger? Cause ideally I’d like them to all live in the same cage I just don’t want anyone to get badly hurt and I personally don’t know the difference between attacking to kill and just having a little fight over dominance.

Edited by - Moonelite on May 25 2019 09:55:30 PM
Question
May 26 2019
09:29:10 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I usually let my wife do the introductions, as things can be a little rough
at the start. But I would say fight is more them grabbing each other rolling
around and usually making alot of noise. But I have heard if they are biting
they may be doing this with less noise.
Usually with our introductions one dominant will crawl over and sniff over
the others, kind of pushing them around, this may cause a quick squabble. But
usually they separate then are better seconds later when they go face to face again.
If they keep squabbling I would stop the introduction.

We have a colony of 6 with a very dominant male and a group of 2 with a
dominant female. Every time the dominant female smells the male on my hands or
arms she goes mark crazy, rubbing her belly all over the place. the male will
do the same with her scent. The first time we introduced they had a fight and
the male even tried to fight the other one of two also. with the strong response
to each others scent, we feel they might not except each other, or be willing to
give up their alpha rolls.

there are a few videos on youtube, you could check those out see if you
can get a feel for what is a squabble, cause we almost always have small
squabbles during introductions.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders